Estimation and Inference for Normative Inequality Indices
AbstractThis paper addresses the sampling distribution of two general classes of normative income inequality indices. For approximations to the Atkinson-Kolm-Sen index of relative inequality and the Kolm-Blackorby-Donaldson index of absolute inequality, the paper provides consistent estimators and establishes their asymptotic normality. Asymptotic variance-covariance expressions are obtained that provide for distribution-free statistical inference on these measures in a straightforward fashion. The paper thus extends the principles of statistical inference to current classes of normative inequality measures and to Atkinson's equally distributed income measure. Copyright 1997 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 38 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Rongve, I. & Beach, C., 1994. "Estimation and Inference for Normative Inquelity Indices," Papers 51, Regina - Department of Economics.
- Ian Rongve & Charles Beach, 1994. "Estimation and Inference for Normative Inequality Indices," Working Papers 913, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stephen G. Donald & Yu‐Chin Hsu & Garry F. Barrett, 2012. "Incorporating covariates in the measurement of welfare and inequality: methods and applications," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 15(1), pages C1-C30, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.