Endogenous Learning, Learning by Doing and Information Sharing
AbstractUsing the work in experimentation, the author endogenizes the, until now, exogenous information in information sharing models. He finds that agreements to exchange information affect the value and production of information. With unknown cost, a learning-by-doing like effect also arises. These effects affect consumer welfare, the incentive to receive information, and the incentive to enter information sharing agreements. Information sharing contracts may have negative future effects on firms through decreased information production. However, the decreased information production has the current benefit of softening competition, which induces information sharing agreements under conditions contrary to previous results and vice versa. Copyright 1995 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 36 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Creane, A., 1992. "Endogenous Learning, Learning by Doing and Information Sharing," Papers 9106, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- François Moreau & Jean Lainé & Gilbert Laffond & Jacques Lesourne & Nicolas Curien & Emmanuelle Fauchart, 2001.
"Forums de consommation sur Internet. Un modèle évolutionniste,"
Programme National Persée, vol. 52(1), pages 119-135.
- Nicolas Curien & Emmanuelle Fauchart & Gilbert Laffond & Jean Lainé & Jacques Lesourne & François Moreau, 2001. "Forums de consommation sur Internet. Un modèle évolutionniste," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 52(7), pages 119-135.
- Bipasa Datta, . "Experimentation, Information sharing and Oligopoly Limit Pricing," Discussion Papers 99/34, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Dimitrova, Magdalena & Schlee, Edward E., 2003. "Monopoly, competition and information acquisition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1623-1642, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.