Endogenous Learning, Learning by Doing and Information Sharing
AbstractUsing the work in experimentation, the author endogenizes the, until now, exogenous information in information sharing models. He finds that agreements to exchange information affect the value and production of information. With unknown cost, a learning-by-doing like effect also arises. These effects affect consumer welfare, the incentive to receive information, and the incentive to enter information sharing agreements. Information sharing contracts may have negative future effects on firms through decreased information production. However, the decreased information production has the current benefit of softening competition, which induces information sharing agreements under conditions contrary to previous results and vice versa. Copyright 1995 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 36 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Creane, A., 1992. "Endogenous Learning, Learning by Doing and Information Sharing," Papers, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory 9106, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- FranÃ§ois Moreau & Jean LainÃ© & Gilbert Laffond & Jacques Lesourne & Nicolas Curien & Emmanuelle Fauchart, 2001.
"Forums de consommation sur Internet. Un modÃ¨le Ã©volutionniste,"
Programme National PersÃ©e, vol. 52(1), pages 119-135.
- Nicolas Curien & Emmanuelle Fauchart & Gilbert Laffond & Jean LainÃ© & Jacques Lesourne & FranÃ§ois Moreau, 2001. "Forums de consommation sur Internet. Un modÃ¨le Ã©volutionniste," Revue Ã©conomique, Presses de Sciences-Po, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 52(7), pages 119-135.
- Dimitrova, Magdalena & Schlee, Edward E., 2003. "Monopoly, competition and information acquisition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1623-1642, December.
- Bipasa Datta, . "Experimentation, Information sharing and Oligopoly Limit Pricing," Discussion Papers, Department of Economics, University of York 99/34, Department of Economics, University of York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.