Product Imitation, Product Differentiation and International Trade
AbstractUsing the Hotelling approach to product differentiation, this article derives the equilibrium product configurations and prices when two firms enter and sell in two interdependent markets separated by barriers to trade. It shows that product imitation and no trade as well as product differentiation with two-way or one-way trade are all consistent with the equilibrium. Copyright 1995 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 36 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gianni De Fraja & George Norman, 1998.
"Product Differentiation and the Location of International Production,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
9814, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Gianni De Fraja & George Norman, 2004. "Product Differentiation and the Location of International Production," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 151-170, 03.
- Tharakan, Joe & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2002.
"The importance of being small. Or when countries are areas and not points,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 381-408, May.
- THARAKAN , Joe & THISSE, Jacques-François, . "The importance of being small. Or when countries are areas and not points," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1542, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tharakan, Joe & Thisse, Jacques-François, 2001. "The Importance of Being Small. Or When Countries are Areas and not Points," CEPR Discussion Papers 2938, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andaluz, Joaquin, 2000. "On protection and vertical product differentiation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 77-97, January.
- Berg, Nathan, 2008. "Imitation in location choice," MPRA Paper 26592, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hernán Vallejo G, 2005.
"International Trade, Migration And Investment With Horizontal Product Differentiation And Free Entry And Exit Of Firms,"
002917, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Hernan Vallejo, 2006. "International trade, migration and investment with horizontal product differentiation and free entry and exit of firms," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- E. Bacchiega & A. Minniti, 2005.
"Location in a Vertically Differentiated Industry,"
546, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- BACCHIEGA, Emmanuele & MINNITI, Antonio, 2005. "Location in a vertically differentiated industry," CORE Discussion Papers 2005071, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Emmanuele, BACCHIEGA & Antonio, MINNITI, 2005. "Location in a vertically differentiated industry," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2005050, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- L. Lambertini, 2002. "the Specialization of Production and Labour Mobility Under Endogenous Differentiation," Working Papers 453, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Kresimir Zigic, 2001. "Strategic Trade Policy, Spillovers, and the Uncertain Mode of," Industrial Organization 0012008, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.