Information Acquisition and Relative Efficiency of Competitive, Oligopoly and Monopoly Markets
AbstractThis paper analyzes the relative efficiency of a competitive equilibrium against Cournot oligopoly and monopoly equilibria when firms have diverse private information about the stochastic market demand. When firms have information of the same precision, the competitive equilibrium yields a larger expected welfare. However, when information is costly, Cournot oligopoly and monopoly firms acquire more information and, hence, may yield a larger expected welfare than the competitive firms under certain conditions. The author also finds that competitive firms acquire less than the efficient level of information while Cournot oligopoly and monopoly firms may acquire more than the efficient level. Copyright 1995 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 36 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hurkens, Sjaak & Vulkan, Nir, 2001.
"Information acquisition and entry,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 467-479, April.
- Kazunori Miwa, 2013. "The Impact of Mandatory Disclosure on Information Acquisition: Theory and Experiment," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 13-01, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Qihong Liu & Konstantinos Serfes, 2001.
"Endogenous Acquisition of Information on Consumer Willingness to Pay in a Product Differentiated Duopoly,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
01-03, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Qihong Liu Konstantinos Serfes, 2001. "Endogenous Acquisition Of Information On Consumer Willingness To Pay In A Product Differentiated Duopoly," Industrial Organization 0110001, EconWPA.
- Qihong Liu & Konstantinos Serfes, 2001. "Endogenous Acquisition of Information on Consumers Willingness to Pay in a Product Differentiated Duopoly," Industrial Organization 0105002, EconWPA.
- Esther Hauk & Sjaak Hurkens, 1996.
"Secret information acquisition in Cournot markets,"
Economics Working Papers
233, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 1997.
- Sjaak Hurkens & Nir Vulkan, 2000.
"Endogenous Private Information Structures,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0613, Econometric Society.
- Güth, Sandra & Güth, Werner & Müller, Wieland, 2000. "Private information, risk aversion, and the evolution of market research," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,113, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.