Estimation of Output and Input Technical Efficiency Using a Flexible Form and Panel Data
AbstractThe Farrell (1957) concept of technical efficiency can be measured in two ways--denoted output and input technical efficiency. The empirical literature does not distinguish between the two measures and confusion exists regarding the required restrictions on technology for the specification of either measure. With panel data, the authors show how both types of efficiency, when treated as fixed effects, are to be specified in the context of a translog cost system. Technical efficiency enters the share equations only in the output case when homotheticity is not imposed. The authors estimate their cost systems using panel data on U.S. airlines. Copyright 1994 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 35 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Koop, Gary & Steel, Mark F.J., 2005.
"Alternative efficiency measures for multiple-output production,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 411-444, June.
- Carmen Fernandez & Gary Koop & M. F. J. Steel, 2004. "Alternative efficiency measures for multiple-output production," ESE Discussion Papers 65, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- G. Karagiannis & V. Tzouvelekas & A. Xepapadeas, 2003. "Measuring Irrigation Water Efficiency with a Stochastic Production Frontier," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(1), pages 57-72, September.
- Madau, Fabio A., 2005. "Technical Efficiency in Organic Farming: An Application on Italian Cereal Farms Using a Parametric Approach," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24545, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Christos Pantzios & Stelios Rozakis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2004.
"Evading Farm Support Reduction Via Efficient Input Use: The Case of Greek Cotton Growers,"
0412, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Pantzios, Christos J. & Rozakis, Stelios & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 2006. "Evading Farm Support Reduction via Efficient Input Use: The Case of Greek Cotton Growers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(03), December.
- Juan José Díaz-Hernández, . "Exact Allocative and Technical Inefficiency Using the Normalized Quadratic Cost System," Studies on the Spanish Economy 210, FEDEA.
- Cisilino, Federica & Madau, Fabio A., 2007. "Organic and Conventional Farming: a Comparison Analysis through the Italian FADN," MPRA Paper 21786, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dhehibi, Boubaker, 2010.
"Productive Efficiency in Water Usage: An Analysis of Differences among Citrus Producing Farms Sizes in Tunisia,"
2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa
97328, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Dhehibi, Boubaker, 2011. "Productive Efficiency in Water Usage: An Analysis of Differences among Citrus Producing Farms Sizes in Tunisia," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114441, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sari, Nazmi, 2003. "Efficiency outcomes of market concentration and managed care," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1571-1589, December.
- Tzouvelekas, Vangelis & Pantzios, Christos J. & Fotopoulos, Christos, 2001. "Technical efficiency of alternative farming systems: the case of Greek organic and conventional olive-growing farms," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 549-569, December.
- Madau, Fabio A., 2012. "Technical and scale efficiency in the Italian Citrus Farming: A comparison between Stochastic Frontier Analysis (SFA) and Data Envelopment Analysis(DEA) Models," MPRA Paper 41403, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martinez-Budria, Eduardo & Diaz-Hernandez, Juan Jose & Jara-Däaz, Sergio, 2011. "Productivity and efficiency with discrete variables and quadratic cost function," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 251-257, August.
- Furesi, Roberto & Madau, Fabio A. & Pulina, Pietro, 2011. "Technical Efficiency in the Sheep Dairy Industry: an Application on the Sardinian (Italy) Sector," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114348, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tai-Hsin Huang & Mei-Hui Wang, 2004. "Estimation of scale and scope economies in multiproduct banking: evidence from the Fourier flexible functional form with panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(11), pages 1245-1253.
- Pantzios, Christos J. & Rozakis, Stelios & Tzouvelekas, Vangelis, 2002. "Assessing the Perspectives of EU Cotton Farming: Technical and Scale Efficiencies of Greek Cotton Growers," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24844, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Florent Kinkingninhoun-Mêdagbé & Aliou Diagne & Franklin Simtowe & Afiavi Agboh-Noameshie & Patrice Adégbola, 2010. "Gender discrimination and its impact on income, productivity, and technical efficiency: evidence from Benin," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 57-69, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.