Macroeconomic Dynamics in a Multi-country Economy: A Dynamic Optimization Approach
AbstractUsing a multicountry model with perfect-foresight dynamic optimization by infinitely-lived households, the authors analyze the dynamics of macroeconomic nonmonetary and monetary variables. The authors show that the most patient country initially accumulates foreign debt but eventually decumulates this debt and becomes a creditor. It monotonically increases its consumption and experiences monotonic price and exchange-rate appreciation. The moderately-patient country initially accumulates foreign assets but eventually decumulates them, and becomes a debtor. Its consumption also follows a humped path. The least patient country monotonically decumulates foreign assets, lowers its consumption, and experiences rising inflation and exchange-rate depreciation. Copyright 1992 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 33 (1992)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wei-Bin Zhang, 2014. "National and International Inequalities in Income and Wealth in a Global Growth with Free Trade and National Inflation Policies," Global Economic Observer, "Nicolae Titulescu" University of Bucharest, Faculty of Economic Sciences;Institute for World Economy of the Romanian Academy, vol. 2(1), pages 22-40, May.
- Momota, Akira & Futagami, Koichi, 2005. "Demographic structure, international lending and borrowing in growing interdependent economies," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 135-162, March.
- Wei-Bin Zhang, 2008. "Leisure, amenity, and capital accumulation in a multi-region model," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 183-207, March.
- Wei-Bin Zhang, 2011. "Interregional economic growth with transportation and residential distribution," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 219-245, February.
- Yoshiyasu Ono & Akihisa Shibata, 2006.
"Capital Income Taxation and Specialization Patterns: Investment Tax vs. Saving Tax,"
ISER Discussion Paper, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University
0649, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Yoshiyasu Ono & Akihisa Shibata, 2006. "Capital Income Taxation and Specialization Patterns: Investment Tax vs. Saving Tax," KIER Working Papers 613, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Wei-Bin Zhang, 2011. "Global Economic Growth, Elastic Labor Supply, Knowledge Utilization And Creation With Learning-By-Doing," Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 58, pages 497-512, november.
- Ikeda, Shinsuke & Gombi, Ichiro, 2009.
"Habit Formation In An Interdependent World Economy,"
Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(04), pages 477-492, September.
- Shinsuke Ikeda & Ichiro Gombi, 2004. "Habit Formation in an Interdependent World Economy," ISER Discussion Paper, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University 0619, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University, revised Jul 2008.
- Wei-Bin Zhang, 1995. "Leisure time, savings and trade patterns A two-country growth model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 425-434, October.
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Ohyama, Michihiro, 1995. "External debt cycles," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 215-236, June.
- Yoshiyasu Ono & Shinsuke Ikeda, 1996. "Fiscal policy, wealth divergence, and lifetime utility," Journal of Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 64(3), pages 265-280, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.