Playing with the Band: Dynamic Effects of Target Zones in an Open Economy
AbstractThis paper applies techniques of regulated Brownian motion to a model of a small open economy to investigate how bands on fundamental driving variables affect the realization of the nominal exchange rate, the real exchange rate, prices, and output. The author shows that these bands mitigate the relationship between exogenous fundamentals and endogenous variables through their effects on expectations. He also considers the effects of changing the width of the band and finds greater stabilization of endogenous variables with more narrow bands on exogenous fundamentals. Copyright 1990 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 31 (1990)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen, Li-Ju & Ye, Chusheng & Hu, Shih-Wen & Wang, Vey & Wen, Jiandong, 2013. "The Effect of a Target Zone on the Stabilization of Agricultural Prices and Farmers' Nominal Income," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(1), April.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Ploeg, F. van der, 1994.
"Macroeconomic stabilisation and intervention policy under an exchange rate band,"
1994-27, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma, Roel M. W. J. & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1998. "Macroeconomic stabilization and intervention policy under an exchange rate band," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 339-353, April.
- Beetsma, Roel & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1994. "Macroeconomic Stabilization and Intervention Policy Under an Exchange Rate Band," CEPR Discussion Papers 925, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fang, Chung-rou & Lai, Ching-chong, 2002. "Targeting nominal income versus targeting price level: A target zone perspective," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 229-249.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991.
"Stochastic Process Switching: Some Simple Solutions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(1), pages 241-50, January.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Maurice Obstfeld, 1989. "Stochastic Process Switching: Some Simple Solutions," NBER Working Papers 2998, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1990.
"Target Zones and Interest Rate Variability,"
IMF Working Papers
90/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1989. "Target Zones and Interest Rate Variability," NBER Working Papers 3218, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1990. "Target Zones and Interest Rate Variability," CEPR Discussion Papers 372, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1989. "Target Zones And Interest Rate Variability," Papers 457, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Willem H. Buiter & Paolo A. Pesenti, 1990.
"Rational Speculative Bubbles in an Exchange Rate Target Zone,"
NBER Working Papers
3467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buiter, Willem H & Pesenti, Paolo, 1990. "Rational Speculative Bubbles in an Exchange Rate Target Zone," CEPR Discussion Papers 479, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zhen Zhu, 1997. "Dynamic Inconsistency and Exchange-Rate Target Zones: A Welfare Analysis," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 15-38.
- Ikeda, Shinsuke & Shibata, Akihisa, 1995. "Fundamentals uncertainty, bubbles, and exchange rate dynamics," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 199-222, May.
- Simon Broome, 2005. "Limited Reserves and the Optimal Width of an Exchange Rate Target Zone," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 263-281, July.
- Simon Broome, 2003. "Limited Reserves and the Optimal Width of an Exchange Rate Target zone," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1220803, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.