Exchange Rate Volatility in an Equilibrium Asset Pricing Model
AbstractThis paper analyzes a stochastic model of exchange rate determination with unrestricted access to capital and currency markets. It is shown that the only restriction imposed by the model on the equilibrium exchange rate is that it satisfy a martingale property. This implies that, for a given real equilibrium allocation (which is optimal), the model can display varying amounts of exchange rate volatility, and that volatility is unrelated to the welfare properties of the equilibrium allocation. Whether or not volatility is "excessive" therefore depends on which equilibrium is chosen as the basis for comparison. Copyright 1990 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 31 (1990)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M. Salto & T. Pietra, 2011.
"Welfare and excess volatility of exchange rates,"
wp758, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Carsten K. Nielsen, 2001. "Three Exchange Rate Regimes and a Monetary Union: Determinacy, Currency Crises, and Welfare," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0104, Banco de Espa�a.
- Head, Allen & Shi, Shouyong, 2003.
"A fundamental theory of exchange rates and direct currency trades,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1555-1591, October.
- Allen Head & Shouyong Shi, 2002. "A Fundamental Theory of Exchange Rates and Direct Currency Trades," Working Papers shouyong-03-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Allen Head & Shouyong Shi, 2000. "A Fundamental Theory of Exchange Rates and Direct Currency Trades," Working Papers 993, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Alexei Deviatov & Igor Dodonov, 2006. "Exchange-rate volatility, exchange-rate disconnect, and the failure of volatility conservation," Working Papers w0079, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Charles Engel, 1996.
"A Model of Foreign Exchange Rate Indetermination,"
NBER Working Papers
5766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, C., 1996. "A Model of Foreign Exchange Rate Indetermination," Working Papers 96-13, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Engel, C., 1996. "A Model of Foreign Exchange Rate Indetermination," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 96-13, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Enrique Martinez-Garcia, 2008. "Globalization and monetary policy: an introduction," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 11, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Maria Grydaki & Stilianos Fountas, 2008.
"Exchange Rate Volatility and Output Volatility: a Theoretical Approach,"
Discussion Paper Series
2008_16, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Dec 2008.
- Maria Grydaki & Stilianos Fountas, 2009. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Output Volatility: A Theoretical Approach," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 552-569, 08.
- Irasema Alonso, 2004. "Persistent, Nonfundamental Exchange Rate Fluctuations," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 7(3), pages 687-706, July.
- Edouard Djeutem & Ken Kasa, 2012. "Robustness and Exchange Rate Volatility," Discussion Papers dp12-01, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Sangdai Ryoo, 2002. "Testing for Sunspot in the Foreign Exchange Market," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 39-58.
- Garratt, Rod & Keister, Todd & Qin, Cheng-Zhong & Shell, Karl, 2002. "Equilibrium Prices When the Sunspot Variable Is Continuous," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 11-38, November.
- Barnett, Richard C. & Ho, Mun S., 1996. "Sunspots, currency substitution, and inflationary finance," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 73-93, August.
- Ravikumar, B & Wallace, Neil, 2002. "A benefit of uniform currency," MPRA Paper 22951, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- SALTO, Matteo, 1998. "Indeterminacy of equilibrium allocations in monetary open economies," CORE Discussion Papers 1998062, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.