A Generalized Error Component Model with Heteroscedastic Disturbances
AbstractThis paper generalizes the one-way error component model from the homoskedastic to the heteroskedastic case. Unlike P. Mazodier and A. Trognon's (1978) heteroskedastic two-way error component model, an explicit form for V11/2 is obtained that allows the computation of generalized least squares as a simple modification of J. A. Hausman's (1978) procedure for the homoskedastic case. Two methods for estimating the variance components are proposed. The first estimates the variance components based on ordinary least squares and within residuals. The second uses the minimum norm quadratic unbiased estimation procedure suggested by C. R. Rao (1970). These methods are then applied to the estimation of gasoline demand for eighteen OECD countries over the period 1964-78. Copyright 1988 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 29 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baltagi B-H. & Bresson G. & Pirotte A., 2004.
"Joint LM test for homoskedasticity in a one-way error component model,"
Working Papers ERMES
0408, ERMES, University Paris 2.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Bresson, Georges & Pirotte, Alain, 2006. "Joint LM test for homoskedasticity in a one-way error component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 401-417, October.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Georges Bresson & Alain Pirotte, 2005. "Joint LM Test for Homoskedasticity in a One-Way error Component Model," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 72, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Jung, Byoung Cheol & Song, Seuck Heun, 2010.
"Testing for heteroskedasticity and serial correlation in a random effects panel data model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 122-124, February.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Byoung Cheol Jung & Seuck Heun Song, 2008. "Testing for Heteroskedasticity and Serial Correlation in a Random Effects Panel Data Model," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 111, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Eduardo Fé Rodríguez, 2009. "Adaptive Instrumental Variable Estimation of Heteroskedastic Error Component Models," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0921, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Almas Heshmati & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2010.
"Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Provinces,"
TEMEP Discussion Papers
201054, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Feb 2010.
- Heshmati, Almas & Kumbhakar, Subal C., 2010. "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth: The Case of Chinese Provinces," IZA Discussion Papers 4784, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Georges Bresson & Cheng Hsiao & Alain Pirotte, 2011.
"Assessing the contribution of R&D to total factor productivity—a Bayesian approach to account for heterogeneity and heteroskedasticity,"
AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis,
Springer, vol. 95(4), pages 435-452, December.
- Bresson G. & Hsiao C. & Pirotte A., 2007. "Assessing the Contribution of R&D to Total Factor Productivity – a Bayesian Approach to Account for Heterogeneity And Heteroscedasticity," Working Papers ERMES 0708, ERMES, University Paris 2.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Song, Seuck Heun & Kwon, Jae Hyeok, 2009.
"Testing for heteroskedasticity and spatial correlation in a random effects panel data model,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 2897-2922, June.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Seuck Heun Song & Jae Hyeok Kwon, 2008. "Testing for Heteroskedasticity and Spatial Correlation in a Random Effects Panel Data Model," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 108, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- M. Giulietti & S. Mccorriston & P. Osborne, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in the UK: evidence from a disaggregated panel of the UK food sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(7), pages 653-663.
- Majumdar, Raju, 2012. "The role of secured debt in resolving agency conflicts and problems of asymmetric information: Indian evidence," MPRA Paper 37925, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar, 1996. "Le ralentissement de la productivité des entreprises d'électricité au Texas : le rôle des marges, des rendements d'échelle et du progrès technique," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 126(5), pages 77-89.
- Shiu, Alice & Heshmati, Almas, 2006.
"Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Chinese Provinces: A Panel Data Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2133, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Shiu, Alice & Heshmati, Almas, 2006. "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Chinese Provinces: A Panel Data Analysis," Ratio Working Papers 98, The Ratio Institute.
- Nilanjana Roy, 2002. "Is Adaptive Estimation Useful For Panel Models With Heteroskedasticity In The Individual Specific Error Component? Some Monte Carlo Evidence," Econometric Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 189-203.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2003:i:15:p:1-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2008:i:75:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nilanjana Roy, 1999. "Is Adaptive Estimation Useful for Panel Models With Heteroskedasticity in the Unit-Specific Error Component? Some Monte Carlo Evidence," Econometrics Working Papers 9913, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.