Consumption, Liquidity Constraints and Asset Accumulation in the Presence of Random Income Fluctuations
AbstractRecent empirical research, Flavin (1981), Hagashi (1982), has rejected the certainty-equivalent formulation of permanent income hypothesis, Hall (1978). These findings are often attributed to households' inability to borrow completely against expected future labor income. This paper is a theoretical investigation of optimal consumption behavior under risk aversion, random income fluctuations, and borrowing restrictions. Our principle objective is to establish the existence and to investigate the properties of the stationary probability distribution which characterizes the asymptotic behavior of consumption under these conditions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 28 (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Richard H. Clarida, 1984. "Consumption, Liquidity Constraints and Asset Accumulation in the Presence of Random Income Fluctuations," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 705R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1985.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chamley, Christophe, 2001. "Capital income taxation, wealth distribution and borrowing constraints," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 55-69, January.
- Geng Li, 2007.
"Transaction costs and consumption,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2007-38, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Cunha, Flavio & Heckman, James J. & Lochner, Lance & Masterov, Dimitriy V., 2005.
"Interpreting the Evidence on Life Cycle Skill Formation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1675, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cunha, Flavio & Heckman, James J. & Lochner, Lance, 2006. "Interpreting the Evidence on Life Cycle Skill Formation," Handbook of the Economics of Education, Elsevier.
- Flavio Cunha & James J. Heckman & Lance Lochner & Dimitriy V. Masterov, 2005. "Interpreting the Evidence on Life Cycle Skill Formation," NBER Working Papers 11331, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adda, Jérôme & Eaton, Jonathan, 1998.
"Borrowing with unobserved liquidity constraints structural estimation with an application to sovereign debt,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Jerome Adda & Jonathan Eaton, 1998. "Borrowing iwth Unobserved Liquidity Constraints: Structural Estimation with an Application to Sovereign Debt," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 84, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1999.
"Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
9925, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1995. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1090, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- V A Hajivassiliou & Y Ioannides, 1995. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," CEP Discussion Papers dp0243, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1993. "Unemployment and Liquidity Constraints," Working Papers _019, Yale University.
- Patrick Honohan, 1995. "The Impact of Financial and Fiscal Policies on Saving," Papers WP059, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Lucio Sarno & Mark P. Taylor, .
"Real Interest Rates, Liquidity Constraints and Financial Deregulation: Private Consumption Behaviour in the UK,"
Economics and Finance Discussion Papers
97-12, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P., 1998. "Real Interest Rates, Liquidity Constraints and Financial Deregulation: Private Consumption Behavior in the U.K," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 221-242, April.
- Partha Chatterjee & Malik Shukayev, 2006. "Convergence in a Stochastic Dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin Model," Working Papers 06-23, Bank of Canada.
- Paul Hiebert & Massimo Rostagno & Javier J. Perez, 2002.
"Debt reduction and automatic stabilisation,"
Working Paper Series
189, European Central Bank.
- Paul Hiebert & Javier J. Pérez & Massimo Rostagno, 2002. "Debt reduction and automatic stabilisation," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2002/12, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Yannis M. Ioannides, 1992. "A Note on the Dual Approach to the Existence and Characterization of Optimal Consumption Decisions Under Uncertainty and Liquidity Constraints," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1018, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A. & Ioannides, Yannis M., 1996. "Duality and liquidity constraints under uncertainty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 20(6-7), pages 1177-1192.
- Rabault, Guillaume, 2002. "When do borrowing constraints bind? Some new results on the income fluctuation problem," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 217-245, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.