Efficiency improvements and water policy in the balearic islands: a general equilibrium approach
AbstractWe use an Applied General Equilibrium Model of the Balearic Islands to explore the impact of increasing the technical efficiency of water use in the tourism sector. We show that water efficiency measures do not reduce economic pressures on water ecosystems. Consequently water price increases and reductions in water withdrawals are needed as ancillary measures. This water policy package opens a menu of possible outcomes in terms of conservation of water resources and the production of market goods. We also provide information about distributional impacts that should be considered to determine the convenience of implementing water saving programs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Fundación SEPI in its journal Investigaciones Económicas.
Volume (Year): 30 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dinar, Ariel, 2012. "Economy-wide implications of direct and indirect policy interventions in the water sector: lessons from recent work and future research needs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6068, The World Bank.
- Pérez Blanco, Carlos Dionisio & Gómez Gómez, Carlos Mario & Garrido Yserte, Rubén, 2010. "Cambio estructural regional y agua: Escasez, dependencia e impactos sobre el tejido económico. El caso de Andalucía/Structural Change and Water: Scarcity, Dependence and Impacts on the Economy. The ," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 28, pages 423-446, Agosto.
- Luckmann, Jonas & Siddig, Khalid H.A. & Flaig, Dorothee & Grethe, Harald, 2012. "Mitigating Water Scarcity In Israel – A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 133942, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Pérez Blanco, Carlos Dionisio & Gómez Gómez, Carlos Mario & Del Villar García, Alberto, 2011. "El riesgo de disponibilidad de agua en la agricultura: una aplicación a las cuencas del Guadalquivir y del Segura/Water Availability Risk in Agriculture: An Application to Guadalquivir and Segura Riv," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 333-358, Abril.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.