Path independent multiplicatively decomposable inequality measures
AbstractFoster and Shneyerov (2000) explore an additive decomposition property for inequality measures that they call path independent decomposition. They characterise the class of measures that have this property. Taking their results as a reference, we seek here to generalise the notion of decomposability, and to characterise inequality measures that admit path independent multiplicative decomposition. It is shown that all the measures in this family can be generated on the basis of Atkinson’s index for value 1 of the inequality aversion parameter. (Copyright: Fundación SEPI)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Fundación SEPI in its journal Investigaciones Económicas.
Volume (Year): 29 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shorrocks, A F, 1980. "The Class of Additively Decomposable Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 613-25, April.
- Foster, James E. & Shneyerov, Artyom A., 2000. "Path Independent Inequality Measures," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 199-222, April.
- Eytan Sheshinski, 1977. "Taxation, Inflation, and Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 0203, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giuseppe Pignataro, 2010. "Measuring equality of opportunity by Shapley value," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(1), pages 786-798.
- Goerlich, Francisco José & Lasso de la Vega, Mª Casilda & Urrutia, Ana Marta, 2009.
"The Extended Atkinson Family and Changes in the Expenditure Distribution: Spain 1973/74-2003,"
16256, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
- Francisco J. Goerlich-Gisbert & Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Marta Urrutia, 2009. "The ‘extended’ Atkinson family and changes in the expenditure distribution. Spain 1973/74-2003," Journal of Income Distribution, Journal of Income Distribution, vol. 18(1), pages 20-41, March.
- Casilda Lasso de la Vega & Ana Urrutia, 2008. "The ‘Extended’ Atkinson family: The class of multiplicatively decomposable inequality measures, and some new graphical procedures for analysts," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 211-225, June.
- Frank Cowell & Carlo Fiorio, 2011.
"Inequality decompositions—a reconciliation,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 509-528, December.
- Frank A. Cowell & Carlo V. Fiorio, 2009. "Inequality Decompositions ?A Reconciliation," Working Papers 117, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Frank A Cowell & Carlo V. Fiorio, 2009. "Inequality Decomposition - A Reconciliation," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 100, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Frank Cowell & Carlo V. Fiorio, 2009. "Inequality decomposition: a reconciliation," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25431, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Frank Cowell & Carlo V. Fiorio, 2010. "GINI DP 4: Inequality Decompositions," GINI Discussion Papers 4, AIAS, Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Labour Studies.
- Li Donni, P; & Peragine, V; & Pignataro G;, 2011. "Measuring equity in health: a normative decomposition," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 11/06, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.