Comercio y convergencia regional: un análisis sectorial del caso español
AbstractThis paper studies the impact of trade openness on on the slowdown of productivity convergence among Spanish regions observed in the last two decades. The empirical analysis carried out for 12 sectors and 17 regions over 1981-1995 shows a negative and significant effect, so that, as openness to international trade increases, divergence in productivity becomes wider. The paper also shows, however, that the negative effect on convegence was smaller than the positive effects of the deep change in sectoral structure experienced by the Spanish regions during the 1980s and 1990s. As a result, productivity levels continued to get closer, though at a slower rate. (Copyright: Fundación Empresa Pública)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Fundación SEPI in its journal Investigaciones Economicas.
Volume (Year): 25 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Investigaciones Economicas Fundación SEPI Quintana, 2 (planta 3) 28008 Madrid Spain
Web page: http://www.fundacionsepi.es/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keller, Wolfgang, 1998.
"Are international R&D spillovers trade-related?: Analyzing spillovers among randomly matched trade partners,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(8), pages 1469-1481, September.
- Wolfgang Keller, 1997. "Are International R&D Spillovers Trade-Related? Analyzing Spillovers Among Randomly Matched Trade Partners," NBER Working Papers 6065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfgang Keller, 1996. "Are International R&D Spillovers Trade-related? Analyzing Spillovers among Randomly Matched Trade Partners," International Trade 9608002, EconWPA.
- de la Fuente, A., 1998.
"What Kind of Regional Convergence?,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
419.98, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ben-David, Dan & Loewy, Michael B, 2000.
"Knowledge Dissemination, Capital Accumulation, Trade, and Endogenous Growth,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 52(4), pages 637-50, October.
- Ben-David, D & Loewy, M-B, 1997. "Knowledge Dissemination, Capital Accumulation, Trade, and Endogenous Growth," Papers 3-97, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Ben-David, Dan & Loewy, Michael B, 1996. "Knowledge Dissemination, Capital Accumulation, Trade and Endogenous Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 1335, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luis A. Rivera-Batiz & Paul M. Romer, 1991.
"International Trade with Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3594, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rivera-Batiz, Luis A. & Romer, Paul M., 1991. "International trade with endogenous technological change," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 971-1001, May.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1990. "Economic Growth and Convergence across The United States," NBER Working Papers 3419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 1998. "- Capital Humano Y Convergencia Regional," Working Papers. Serie EC 1998-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Isabel Sánchez-Seco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.