Macroeconomic effects of public investment in infrastructure in India
AbstractThis paper attempts to improve the aggregative, structural, macroeconometric model for India that has been under development by the author and his associates in recent years. Specifically, it uses 3SLS with simultaneously iterative weighing matrix and coefficients. This gave more efficient estimates of the parameters and better goodness-of-fit statistics. The model emphasises the inter-relationships between internal and external balances and also the relation between money, output, prices and balance of payments. A few counterfactual simulations relating to stepping-up public investment in infrastructure as a way of overcoming the global economic crisis in India are illustrated. Public investment through commercial bank borrowing seems to have an advantage over other ways of financing investment in India.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Inderscience Enterprises Ltd in its journal Int. J. of Trade and Global Markets.
Volume (Year): 4 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=130
public investment; infrastructure; macroeconometrics; economic crises; India; aggregative models; structural models; three-stage least squares; 3SLS; iterative weighing matrixes; iterative weighing coefficients; parameters; goodness-of-fit; inter-relationships; internal balances; external balances; money; outputs; prices; balance of payments; counterfactual simulations; commercial banks; borrowing; investment financing; globalisation; trade; global markets; global economy; policy analysis.;
Other versions of this item:
- K.N.Murty & A. Soumya, 2006. "Macroeconomic effects of public investment in infrastructure in India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2006-003, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- K. N. Murty & A. Soumya, 2006. "Macro economic effects of public investment in infrastructure in India," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22372, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- K.N Murty, 2009. "Macroeconomic Effects Of Public Invesment In Infrastructure In India," Working Papers id:1875, eSocialSciences.
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- K. N. Murty & A. Soumya, 2006.
"Effects of Public Investment in Infrastructure on Growth and Poverty in India,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22373, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- K. N. Murty & A. Soumya, 2006. "Effects of public investment in infrastructure on growth and poverty in India," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2006-006, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Ismihan, Mustafa & Ozkan, F. Gulcin, 2011. "A Note On Public Investment, Public Debt, And Macroeconomic Performance," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(02), pages 265-278, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.