The effects of volatility spillover in the US basis swap markets
AbstractThis paper examines time series properties of the swap spreads in three segments of the US dollar interest rate swaps market. Specifically, the relationship between the swap spreads in US dollar fixed-for-floating Interest Rate Swaps (IRS), Treasury bill versus LIBOR basis swaps and commercial paper versus LIBOR basis swaps are analysed. Tests for evidence of volatility spillover among these segments are conducted. Variations of several models, including VAR/VECM, GARCH (1, 1) EGARCH and GJR-GARCH are used in this study. Evidence of interdependencies and volatility spillover is found between these markets. Using the GJR-GARCH model, it is found that the spillover is asymmetric.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Inderscience Enterprises Ltd in its journal Int. J. of Financial Services Management.
Volume (Year): 5 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=76
volatility spillover; basis swap markets; swap spreads; USA; United States; dollar interest rate swaps.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angelos Kanas, 2000.
"Volatility Spillovers Between Stock Returns and Exchange Rate Changes: International Evidence,"
Journal of Business Finance & Accounting,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3-4), pages 447-467.
- Angelos Kanas, 2000. "Volatility Spillovers Between Stock Returns and Exchange Rate Changes: International Evidence," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3&4), pages 447-467.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993.
" On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993. "On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks," Staff Report 157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Takayasu Ito, 2010. "Global financial crisis and US interest rate swap spreads," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(1-2), pages 37-43.
- Cooper, Ian A & Mello, Antonio S, 1991. " The Default Risk of Swaps," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 597-620, June.
- Tian Yong Fu & Mark J. Holmes & Daniel F.S. Choi, 2011. "Volatility transmission and asymmetric linkages between the stock and foreign exchange markets: A sectoral analysis," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 36-50, March.
- Bodart, Vincent & Reding, Paul, 1999.
"Exchange rate regime, volatility and international correlations on bond and stock markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 133-151, January.
- Bodart, V. & Reding, P., 1998. "Exchange Rate Regime, Volatility and International Correlations on Bond and Stock Markets," Papers 204, Notre-Dame de la Paix, Sciences Economiques et Sociales.
- Litzenberger, Robert H, 1992. " Swaps: Plain and Fanciful," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 831-50, July.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1997. " An Econometric Model of the Term Structure of Interest-Rate Swap Yields," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1287-1321, September.
- Huang, Ying & Chen, Carl R., 2007. "The effect of Fed monetary policy regimes on the US interest rate swap spreads," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 375-399.
- Yuki Toyoshima, 2012. "Determinants of interest rate swap spreads in the US: bounds testing approach to cointegration," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(4), pages 331-338, February.
- Dumas, Bernard & Solnik, Bruno, 1995. " The World Price of Foreign Exchange Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 445-79, June.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Grinblatt, Mark, 1995. "An Analytic Solution for Interest Rate Swap Spreads," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt9s13f3zx, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Chaker Aloui, 2007. "Price and volatility spillovers between exchange rates and stock indexes for the pre- and post-euro period," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(6), pages 669-685.
- Hubner, Georges, 2001. "The analytic pricing of asymmetric defaultable swaps," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 295-316, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.