Intra-industry trade in textile industry: the case of India
AbstractIntra-industry trade (IIT) plays a pivotal role in Indian textile industry. It is a new phenomenon. Since 1960, this concept has been used by Pieter Verdoorn and Bela Balassa. The aim of this paper is to measure the level of IIT in Indian textile industry. For this purpose, the Grubelâ€“Lloyd index has been calculated. The analysis is based on annual time series data of export and import. The results reveal that during 1990s, the level of IIT in Indian textile industry was higher, whereas since inception of 21st century it went down. It is due to rise in net export.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Inderscience Enterprises Ltd in its journal Int. J. of Economics and Business Research.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1/2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID==310
GL index; Herb Grubel; Peter Lloyd; textile industry; India; net exports; textiles; Pieter Verdoorn; Bela Balassa; annual time series; imports; economics; business research; intra-industry trade.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horst Raff & Joachim Wagner, 2010.
"Intra-industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(8), pages 1006-1022, 08.
- Raff, Horst & Wagner, Joachim, 2009. "Intra-Industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry," IZA Discussion Papers 4434, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Horst Raff & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Intra-Industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry," Working Paper Series in Economics 144, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Horst Raff & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Intra-Industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry," CESifo Working Paper Series 2851, CESifo Group Munich.
- Horst Raff & Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Intra-Industry Adjustment to Import Competition: Theory and Application to the German Clothing Industry," Kiel Working Papers 1557, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Veeramani C, 2010.
"India's Intra- Industry Trade Under Economic Liberalization: Trends and Country Specific Factors,"
- Veeramani C, 2001. "India's intra-industry trade under economic liberalization: Trends and country specific factors," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 313, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- C. Veeramani, 2007. "Industry-Specific Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade in India," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 42(2), pages 211-229, December.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Marius Brulhart & Michael Thorpe, 2000. "Intra-industry trade and adjustment in Malaysia: puzzling evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(11), pages 729-733.
- Donghui Li & Fariborz Moshirian & Ah-Boon Sim, 2003. "The Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade in Insurance Services," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(2), pages 269-287.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Graham Langley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.