Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in Economies with Partial Dollarization of Liabilities
AbstractAfter the breakdown of aggregate investment observed after the 1997-98 East Asian crisis, in almost all countries which suffered from sharp nominal devaluations, academicians and policymakers have engaged in a hot debate about the adequate monetary policy strategy against a speculative attack on the domestic currency. By means of a simple currency crisis model based on Proa~no, Flaschel and Semmler (2005), this paper shows how an increase in the domestic interest rate by the central bank, as a response to a currency run on the domestic currency, can significantly affect the aggregate demand by depressing the investment of the subsector of domestic firms which are not indebted in foreign currency. Furthermore, it is shown that, in specific scenarios, the strategy adopted by the East Asian countries of domestic interest rate increases might not have been the best response to a speculative attack from the medium term point of view.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IUP Publications in its journal The IUP Journal of Monetary Economics.
Volume (Year): VI (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Peter Flaschel & Christian Proano & Willi Semmler, 2006. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in Economies with Partial Dollarisation of Liabilities," IMK Working Paper 05-2006, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Radelet & Jeffrey Sachs, 1998. "The Onset of the East Asian Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 6680, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Krugman, 2000. "Crises : the price of globalization?," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 75-106.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2000.
"Fear of Floating,"
NBER Working Papers
7993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pesenti, Paolo & Roubini, Nouriel, 1999.
"What caused the Asian currency and financial crisis?,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 305-373, October.
- Corsetti, G. & Pesenti, P. & Roubini, N., 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Papers 343, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Paolo Pesenti & Nouriel Roubini, 1998. "What Caused the Asian Currency and Financial Crisis?," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 343, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999.
"Exchange Rates and Financial Fragility,"
NBER Working Papers
7418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999. "Exchange rates and financial fragility," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 329-368.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Christopher Gust & Jorge Roldos, 2002.
"Monetary policy in a financial crisis,"
Working Paper Series
WP-02-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Christopher Gust & Jorge Roldos, 2002. "Monetary Policy in a Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 9005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Christopher Gust & Jorge Roldos, 2002. "Monetary policy in a financial crisis," Working Paper 0204, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2002.
"Financial markets in time of stress,"
13869, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Morris Goldstein & Philip Turner, 2004. "Controlling Currency Mismatches in Emerging Markets," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 373.
- Guillermo Calvo & Frederic S. Mishkin, 2003.
"The Mirage of Exchange Rate Regimes for Emerging Market Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
9808, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Frederic S. Mishkin, 2003. "The Mirage of Exchange Rate Regimes for Emerging Market Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 99-118, Fall.
- Jason Furman & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1998. "Economic Crises: Evidence and Insights from East Asia," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(2), pages 1-136.
- Röthig, Andreas & Semmler, Willi & Flaschel, Peter, 2005. "Corporate currency hedging and currency crises," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 27194, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (G R K Murty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.