Export-led Growth Hypothesis in Malaysia: A Revisit
AbstractThis paper addresses the crucial question whether export promotes economic performance in Malaysia, from both theoretical and empirical perspectives. Using bound testing approach as proposed by Pesaran, et al. (2001), the estimated coefficients suggested that an increase in exports, gross fixed capital formation and the size of labor force have a positive and significant impact on the rate of economic growth, both in the short and long run. Conversely, changes in imports have a negative and marginally significant effect on economic prosperity in both periods. In addition, the authors found that the devaluation of domestic currency has a positive and crucial impact on the term of trade in the short run, but has a negative and statistically significant influence on economic growth in the long run.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IUP Publications in its journal The IUP Journal of Monetary Economics.
Volume (Year): III (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Pages: 26 - 42
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M., Azali & Wong, K. S. Kelly & Lee, C. & Shafinaz, Ahmad Nazar, 2007. "The Asean-5 Future Currency: Maastricht Criteria," MPRA Paper 10272, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fatma Zeren & Burcu Kilinc Savrul, 2013. "Revisited Export-Led Growth Hypothesis For Selected European Countries: A Panel Hidden Cointegration Approach," Istanbul University Econometrics and Statistics e-Journal, Department of Econometrics, Faculty of Economics, Istanbul University, vol. 18(1), pages 134-151, May.
- Emine KILAVUZ & Betül ALTAY TOPCU, 2012. "Export and Economic Growth in the Case of the Manufacturing Industry: Panel Data Analysis of Developing Countries," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(2), pages 201-215.
- Hoque, Mohammad Monjurul & Yusop, Zulkornain, 2010. "Impacts of trade liberalisation on aggregate import in Bangladesh: An ARDL Bounds test approach," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 37-52, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (G R K Murty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.