The Economics of Cloud Computing
AbstractThe paper examines the economic impact of the diffusion of a new technology as cloud computing. This will allow firms to rent computing power and storage from service providers and to pay on demand, with a profound impact on the cost structure of all the industries, turning some of the fixed costs into marginal costs of production. Such a change will have a substantial impact on the incentives to create new business, and through this, on investments and macroeconomic growth, job creation in all industries and job reallocation in the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) sector, and public finance accounts, through the direct impact on the public sector spending and the indirect one on the tax revenues. The paper investigates the consequences of the diffusion of cloud computing on market structures and competition, and tries to disentangle the above-mentioned aspects with a particular focus on a simulation run for the European economy.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IUP Publications in its journal The IUP Journal of Managerial Economics.
Volume (Year): IX (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andrea RENDA, 2012. "Competition, Neutrality and Diversity in the Cloud," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(85), pages 23-44, 1st quart.
- Anastassios GENTZOGLANIS, 2012. "Evolving Cloud Ecosystems: Risk, Competition and Regulation," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(85), pages 87-107, 1st quart.
- Chaim FERSHTMAN & Neil GANDAL, 2012. "Migration to the Cloud Ecosystem: Ushering in a New Generation of Platform Competition," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(85), pages 109-123, 1st quart.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (G R K Murthy).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.