Real Economic Convergence – European and National Dimension
AbstractThe effects of European integration upon the support to economic and social development in the EU Member States, upon the convergence process and bridging up the gaps between the Member States represents a field of particular interest, both for researchers and for practioners. In Romania, the governmental policy with regard to the economic-social convergence seems to have a relatively diffuse formulation, being rather included in the regional development policy, for which the Convergence Program 2008–2011 was designed. It is considered that the complex economic-social convergence process from any country or community of states can be approached from two main perspectives: as stage of convergence fulfillment and as intensity of the convergence fulfillment process. The general statistical analysis of the economic convergence process is based upon two relevant sets of indicators: economic structure indicators and economic performance indicators. Very illustrating for the development gap to be recovered by convergence is the fact that out of the 15 regions with the lowest development level from EU-27, six regions are from Romania (Center – 38%, North-West – 36%, South-East – 33%, South-Muntenia – 32%, South-West Oltenia – 30%, North- East – 25%). Starting from the theoretical concepts related to the regional economic convergence, generating social cohesion, and the system of related measurement indicators system, the paper intends to present the state of things in this field in the European Union, on the basis of certain macroeconomic or demo-economic quantitative evaluations, from which certain tendencies in the regional convergence evolution can be identified. The second level of regional economic convergence methodology application targets Romania’s real economy, namely two important sectors: the industrial non-financial – banking SMEs and agriculture.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute of Agricultural Economics in its journal Agricultural Economics and Rural Development.
Volume (Year): 6 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13 Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucureşti 761172
Phone: 004 021 3182411
Fax: 004 021 3182411
Web page: http://www.eadr.ro/
More information through EDIRC
real convergence; regional competitiveness; regional disparity; regional density.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zaman, Gheorghe & Georgescu, George, 2009. "Structural Fund Absorption: A New Challenge For Romania?," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 6(1), pages 136-154, March.
- Otiman, Paun Ion, 2012. "Romania’S Present Agrarian Structure: A Great (And Unsolved) Social And Economic Problem Of Our Country," Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, Institute of Agricultural Economics, vol. 9(1), pages 3-24.
- Toderoiu, Filon, 2012. "The Romanian Agri-Food Economy – Performance Reductive Effects After Five Years Of Eu Membership," Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, Institute of Agricultural Economics, vol. 9(1), pages 25-45.
- Toderoiu, Filon, 2011. "Macroeconomic Variables Influencing the European Convergence of the Romanian Agri-Food Sector," Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, Institute of Agricultural Economics, vol. 8(1), pages 13-43.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.