Determinanten des Suchverhaltens von Arbeitslosen : ausgewählte Erkenntnisse basierend auf dem IZA Evaluationsdatensatz (Determinants of the search behavior of the unemployed : selected results based on the IZA evaluation dataset)
Abstract"The transition process from unemployment to employment is determined by the reservation wage and the search effort of the unemployed worker. The optimal search strategy depends on labour market institutions like the generosity of unemployment benefits and 'classical' characteristics like age and education as well as often not observed determinants like personality traits and subjective expectations. The IZA Evaluation dataset allows us to analyse the impact of these factors on the search behaviour and the transition process into employment. The dataset consists of a large inflow sample into unemployment based on administrative information and a unique survey of individuals who became unemployed between mid 2007 and mid 2008. This dataset allows us to observe individual job search intensity, reservation wages and job offers at different points in time as well as realised transitions into employment. Personality traits, ethnicity and social networks are part of the rich information. Our results indicate that differences in the potential duration of unemployment benefit receipt as well as differences in personality traits and in subjective expectations about participation probabilities in active labour market policy programs lead to a heterogeneity in the search behaviour and in the transition probabilities into employment." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany] in its journal Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung – Journal for Labour Market Research.
Volume (Year): 44 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1/2 ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- J65 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment Insurance; Severance Pay; Plant Closings
- J68 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Public Policy
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arne Uhlendorff, 2003. "Der Einfluss von Persönlichkeitseigenschaften und sozialen Ressourcen auf die Arbeitslosigkeitsdauer," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 338, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gerard J. van den Berg & Annette H. Bergemann & Marco Caliendo, 2009.
"The Effect of Active Labor Market Programs on Not-Yet Treated Unemployed Individuals,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 7(2-3), pages 606-616, 04-05.
- van den Berg, Gerard J. & Bergemann, Annette & Caliendo, Marco, 2008. "The effect of active labor market programs on not-yet treated unemployed individuals," Working Paper Series 2008:26, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- van den Berg, Gerard J. & Bergemann, Annette & Caliendo, Marco, 2008. "The Effect of Active Labor Market Programs on Not-Yet Treated Unemployed Individuals," IZA Discussion Papers 3825, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.