Arbeitsplatzdynamik und befristete Verträge: Empirische Evidenz aus dem IAB-Betriebspanel für Baden-Württemberg (Job dynamics and fixed-term contracts : empirical evidence from the IAB establishment panel for Baden-Württemberg)
Abstract"This paper describes the role of fixed-term employment contracts in the job dynamics of firms in Baden-Württemberg in 2001. Although only 4.4 percent of the workers have a fixed-term contract, more than a quarter of all hirings occur on the basis of such a contract. Fixed term contracts are used by declining firms more than by expanding firms: in declining firms some 44 percent of the hirings are in the form of fixed-term employment relationships, which could probably be attributed to the uncertain business development in these firms. Of the temporary employees whose fixed-term contracts expired in 2001, approximately 51 percent changed to a permanent employment relationship in the same firm, whilst approximately 49 percent left the firm. The rate at which fixed-term employees are made permanent is clearly higher in growing firms. There in particular fixed-term employment is obviously not only used as a short-term adjustment instrument, but also in order to try out newly hired employees. Further findings of the data analysis concern the simultaneous inflow and outflow of workers into and out of the firm, which is known as rotation or churning. The churning rate stands at almost 65 percent of overall employment, i.e. almost two thirds of the turnover serves to exchange employees without it being associated with the creation or cutting of jobs. The results also show that the firms frequently offer the workers fixed-term contracts when refilling jobs, even though the jobs were previously permanent ones. If this phenomenon is compared with the number of conversions of fixed-term contracts into permanent ones, it can be seen that on balance no displacement of regular employment can be determined." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany] in its journal Mitteilungen aus der Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung.
Volume (Year): 35 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
befristeter Arbeitsvertrag; Beschäftigungsentwicklung; IAB-Betriebspanel; Weiterbeschäftigung; Personalpolitik; Baden-Württemberg; Bundesrepublik Deutschland;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Salant, Stephen W, 1977.
"Search Theory and Duration Data: A Theory of Sorts,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 39-57, February.
- Stephen W. Salant, 1974. "Search theory and duration data: a theory of sorts," Special Studies Papers 42, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John M. Abowd & Patrick Corbel & Francis Kramarz, 1996.
"The Entry and Exit of Workers and the Growth of Employment: An Analysis of French Establishments,"
NBER Working Papers
5551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & Patrick Corbel & Francis Kramarz, 1999. "The Entry And Exit Of Workers And The Growth Of Employment: An Analysis Of French Establishments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 170-187, May.
- Abowd, John M & Corbel, Patrick & Kramarz, Francis, 1997. "The Entry and Exit of Workers and the Growth of Employment: An Analysis of French Establishments," CEPR Discussion Papers 1765, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lutz Bellmann & Tito Boeri, 1998. "Internal And External Adjustment To New Technologies," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2-4), pages 325-343.
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric & Pauchet, Marianne, 2001.
"Fixed-term contracts and the dynamics of labour demand,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 533-552, March.
- Dominique Goux & Eric Maurin & Marianne Pauchet, 1999. "Fixed-term Contracts and the Dynamics of Labour Demand," Working Papers 99-02, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.