Impact of Managerial Factors on Commercial Bank Profitability: Empirical Evidence from Jordan
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to determine the management controllable factors that determine bank’s profitability of the Jordanian commercial banks listed in Amman Stock of Exchange (ASE). For this, the bank-specific variables are derived from the income statements and the balance sheets of commercial banks published in ASE. Excluding Islamic banks, thirteen Jordanian commercial banks listed in ASE since 2000 were selected (91 observations) over the 2005-2011 intervals. This paper uses descriptive analysis(includes the mean, minimum, maximum, median and standard deviation), financial ratios analysis, Pearson correlation analysis, regression analysis, analysis of variance (ANOVA) and the natural logarithm to implicate the results with the hypotheses. The factors taken into consideration are Profitability measured by ROA, measured by Cost efficiency CIR, measured by Liquidity LADST, measured by Credit Composition measured by NCTA, Credit Risk measured by PRCF, Capital adequacy measured by TETA and the Bank Size measured by SZE. The major outcome of this study is that the cost income ratio is the major endogenous factors under the control of management that determines the profitability of the commercial banks in Jordan. Other variables, such as LADST, NCTA, PRCF, TETA and SZE did not show any statistical effect on profitability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences in its journal International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hrmars.com/index.php/pages/detail/Accounting-Finance-Journal
Managerial Factors; Cost efficiency; Liquidity; Credit Risk; Capital adequacy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Delis, Manthos & Staikouras, Christos, 2006.
"Determinants Of Bank Profitability In The South Eastern European Region,"
10274, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Matthaios D. Delis & Christos K. Staikouras, 2006. "Determinants of Bank Profitability in the South Eastern European Region," Working Papers 47, Bank of Greece.
- Berger, Allen N, 1995.
"The Relationship between Capital and Earnings in Banking,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 432-56, May.
- Allen Berger, 1994. "The Relationship Between Capital and Earnings in Banking," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 94-17, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger, 1994. "The relationship between capital and earnings in banking," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 94-2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Phil & Wilson, John O S, 2004. "Dynamics of Growth and Profitability in Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(6), pages 1069-90, December.
- Fadzlan Sufian, 2011. "Profitability of the Korean Banking Sector: Panel Evidence on Bank-Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants," Journal of Economics and Management, College of Business, Feng Chia University, Taiwan, vol. 7(1), pages 43-72, January.
- Farhad F. Ghannadian & Gautam Goswami, 2004. "Developing economy banking: the case of Islamic banks," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(8), pages 740-752, July.
- Alper, Deger & Anbar, Adem, 2011. "Bank Specific and Macroeconomic Determinants of Commercial Bank Profitability: Empirical Evidence from Turkey," Business and Economics Research Journal, Uludag University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 2(2), pages 139, April.
- Bourke, Philip, 1989. "Concentration and other determinants of bank profitability in Europe, North America and Australia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-79, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hassan Danial Aslam).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.