Management of a fishery using taxes: The European hake fishery
AbstractThe management by means of taxes of a fishery in which the fishing technology of the fleets has different effects on resource is analysed in this paper. This effect can be included in the natural growth of the marine resource function itself. The results show that the tax equilibrium level depends on shadow price, marginal productivity of the effort and effect of each gear on natural growth. The fleet that has a greater impact on resource will pay a higher rate of tax. And this rate will fall as the fleet in question improves its degree of fishing selectivity. Likewise we present some economic policy recommendations for this fishery.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IEF in its journal Hacienda Pública Española/Revista de Economía Pública.
Volume (Year): 177 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
taxes; intra-species selectivity; European hake.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boyce, John R., 1996. "An Economic Analysis of the Fisheries Bycatch Problem," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 314-336, November.
- Ward, John M., 1994. "The Bioeconomic Implications of A Bycatch Reduction Device as a Stock Conservation Management Measure," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 9(3).
- Juan Surís, 1993. "Regulation of the iberoatlantic sardine fishery," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 3(5), pages 457-470, October.
- Jensen, Frank & Vestergaard, Niels, 2002. "Moral hazard problems in fisheries regulation: the case of illegal landings and discard," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 281-299, November.
- Escapa García, Marta & Prellezo, Raúl, 1999.
"Fishing Technology and Optimal Distribution of Harvest Rates,"
1999-07, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Marta Escapa & RaÚl Prellezo, 2003. "Fishing Technology and Optimal Distribution of Harvest Rates," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 25(3), pages 377-394, July.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 2002. "Landing Fees vs Harvest Quotas with Uncertain Fish Stocks," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 325-338, March.
- Trond Bjørndal & Marko Lindroos, 2004. "International Management of North-Sea Herring," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 29(1), pages 83-96, September.
- Turner, Matthew A., 1997. "Quota-Induced Discarding in Heterogeneous Fisheries," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 186-195, June.
- Ralph E. Townsend, 1990. "Entry Restrictions in the Fishery: A Survey of the Evidence," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 66(4), pages 359-378.
- M. Garza-Gil, 1998. "ITQ Systems in Multifleet Fisheries," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(1), pages 79-92, January.
- Duarte, Clara Costa & Brasao, Ana & Pintassilgo, Pedro, 2000. "Management Of The Northern Atlantic Bluefin Tuna: An Application Of C-Games," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 15(1).
- Armstrong, Claire W. & Clark, Derek J., 1997. "Just Fishing? Equity And Efficiency In Fisheries Management Regimes," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 12(3).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Cantó Sánchez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Olga Cantó Sánchez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.