Public capital effects on spanish regions productivity: a non-parametric approach (1965-1998)
AbstractThis paper contributes to the empirical literature on public capital effects on Spanish regions productivity by applying an alternative approach to examine its influence based on a non-parametric FDH production technology with variable scaling parameters (VP-FDH) proposed in Kersten and Vanden Eeckaut (1999). This technique has significant advantages for regional comparisons of productivity and, more generally, wherever the assumption of convexity for the production set is not likely to be appropriate. My results show that public capital has a significant impact in the less developed regions. When I disaggregate public capital in the «so-called» core and non-core infrastructures I find that the first type of infrastructure have developed an important role in the majority of periods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IEF in its journal Hacienda Pública Española/Revista de Economía Pública.
Volume (Year): 171 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (december)
cross-regions productivity; technological efficiency; public capital; convexity.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- KERSTENS, Kristiaan & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1997.
"Estimating returns to scale using nonparametric deterministic technologies : a new method based on goodness-of-fit,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1997013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Vanden Eeckaut, Philippe, 1999. "Estimating returns to scale using non-parametric deterministic technologies: A new method based on goodness-of-fit," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 206-214, February.
- Joaquin Maudos & Jose Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2000. "Efficiency and Productive Specialization: An Application to the Spanish Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 829-842.
- John K. Mullen & Martin Williams & Ronald L. Moomaw, 1996. "Public capital stock and interstate variations in manufacturing efficiency," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 51-67.
- Ramón María-Dolores; & Mari Carmen Puigcerver, . "An Empirical Study of Growth in Spanis Regions: is it Exogenous?," Studies on the Spanish Economy 144, FEDEA.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999.
"Why Do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output per Worker than Others?,"
NBER Working Papers
6564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999. "Why Do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output Per Worker Than Others?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(1), pages 83-116, February.
- Douglas Gollin, 2002.
"Getting Income Shares Right,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(2), pages 458-474, April.
- Ezequiel Uriel Jiménez & Francisco Pérez García & Matilde Mas Ivars & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya, 1993. "Capital Público Y Productividad De La Economía Espanola," Working Papers. Serie EC 1993-08, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Gramlich, Edward M, 1994. "Infrastructure Investment: A Review Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1176-96, September.
- Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 1997. "Convergencia en las regiones españolas: cambio técnico, eficiencia y productividad," Working Papers. Serie EC 1997-20, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Delorme, Charles Jr. & Thompson, Herbert Jr. & Warren, Ronald Jr., 1999. "Public Infrastructure and Private Productivity: A Stochastic-Frontier Approach," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 563-576, July.
- Mercedes Gumbau-Albert, 2000. "Efficiency and technical progress: sources of convergence in the Spanish regions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 467-478.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Cantó Sánchez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Olga Cantó Sánchez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.