The Determinants Of Individual Unemployment Duration: The Case Of Malaysian Graduates
AbstractThis paper estimates determinants of individual unemployment duration of Malaysian graduates. Estimation result suggests that lack of proficiency in English, a mismatch between the type of graduation degree and the requirements for the available jobs in the labor market, family background, state of happiness in overall life, self-expectation on one’s employability and some socio-demographic characteristics (such as ethnicity) are significant determinants of graduate unemployment duration in Malaysia. Specifically, the ‘hypothesis of selection’ in literature of happiness studies is supported; non-English languages proficiency (including Chinese) has no significant impact; and it is imperative to have a realistic self-expectation on one’s employability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Global Research Agency in its journal Journal of Global Management.
Volume (Year): 2 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.globalresearch.com.my/journal.htm
Unemployment duration; Malaysian graduates; proportional hazard model; hypothesis of selection;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M0 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Louise Grogan & Gerard J. van den Berg, 2001.
"The duration of unemployment in Russia,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 549-568.
- Louise Grogan & Gerard J. van den Berg, 1999. "The Duration of Unemployment in Russia," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-011/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Grogan, Louise & Berg, Gerard J. van den, 1999. "The duration of unemployment in Russia," Serie Research Memoranda 0015, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Grogan, Louise & van den Berg, Gerard J, 1999. "The Duration of Unemployment in Russia," CEPR Discussion Papers 2268, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nick Carroll, 2006.
"Explaining Unemployment Duration in Australia,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(258), pages 298-314, 09.
- Knut Roed & Tao Zhang, 2003. "Does Unemployment Compensation Affect Unemployment Duration?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(484), pages 190-206, January.
- Holmlund, Bertil, 1997.
"Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice,"
Working Paper Series
1997:25, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Holmlund, B., 1997. "Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice," Papers 1997-25, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Holmlund, B., 1997. "Unemployment Insurance in Theory and Practice," CEPR Discussion Papers 380, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Pellizzari, Michele, 2006.
"Unemployment duration and the interactions between unemployment insurance and social assistance,"
Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 773-798, December.
- Michele Pellizzari, 2004. "Unemployment Duration and the Interactions Between Unemployment Insurance and Social Assistance," Working Papers 272, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Edin, Per-Anders, 1989. " Unemployment Duration and Competing Risks: Evidence from Sweden," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(4), pages 639-53.
- Dawkins, Casey J. & Shen, Qing & Sanchez, Thomas W., 2005. "Race, space, and unemployment duration," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 91-113, July.
- Lancaster, Tony, 1979. "Econometric Methods for the Duration of Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 939-56, July.
- Kupets, Olga, 2006.
"Determinants of unemployment duration in Ukraine,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 228-247, June.
- Roed, Knut & Zhang, Tao, 2005. "Unemployment duration and economic incentives--a quasi random-assignment approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1799-1825, October.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Narendranathan, W. & Stewart, M.B., 1989. "Modelling The Probability Of Leaving Unemployment: Competing Risks Models With Flexible Baseline Hazards," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 331, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Tansel, Aysit & Tasci, H. Mehmet, 2004.
"Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1258, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aysit Tansel & H. Mehmet Tasçi, 2004. "Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey," ERC Working Papers 0404, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Feb 2004.
- Aysit Tansel & Mehmet Tasci, 2004. "Determinants of Unemployment Duration for Men and Women in Turkey," Working Papers 2004/6, Turkish Economic Association.
- Hock-Eam Lim, 2007. "Estimating The Employment Performance Indicator: The Case Of Universiti Utara Malaysia Graduates," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 52(01), pages 73-91.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1979. "Estimating the Probability of Leaving Unemployment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1249-66, September.
- Hwei-Lin Chuang, 1999. "Estimating the determinants of the unemployment duration for college graduates in Taiwan," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(10), pages 677-681.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (editor).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.