Pension Policy and Poverty in Italy: Recent Developments and New Priorities
AbstractEnsuring adequate living standards to a growing number of elderly while restraining the growth of pension spending represents the main challenge for Italian pension policy. There is a need for an in-depth analysis of the economic conditions of the elderly which in order to target resources to the more needy groups. Using micro-data from the Bank of Italy Survey of Household Income and Wealth (SHIW), we document that the incidence and intensity of poverty among pensioners in Italy are far below those concerning other citizens. This is mainly attributable to the generous rules which governed, until very recently, the public pension system. However, the economic conditions of pensioners vary a lot with age, gender, region and family characteristics. Some groups present high poverty risks. Moreover, the pension reforms implemented since 1992 will curb the benefits paid to younger generations, which also suffer from relatively low wages and increased job flexi-bility. As a result, for such cohorts the poverty risk after retirement has sharply risen. Changes in the social insurance pension schemes can mitigate some of these risks, but the goal of poverty reduction should be primarily pursued through other expenditure programs.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University in its journal Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia.
Volume (Year): 67 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: via Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano (Italy)
Web page: http://www.gde.unibocconi.it/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/11143 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erika Somma).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.