Market Power and Aggregate Economic Growth in Models with Endogenous Technological Change
AbstractThis paper overviews the main interactions between product market competition and long-run growth. We start with the first generation of R&D-based growth models and keep distinct the vertical from the horizontal differentiation approaches. Our main objective here is to study why these two branches of the same literature give different predictions as for the long-run relationship between competition and growth. Next, we introduce the second generation of R&D-based growth models and analyse the way they reconcile the Schumpeterian paradigm with the Darwinian view. Finally, we review the literature that endogenises the markups and the one that eliminates the scale-effects prediction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University in its journal Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia.
Volume (Year): 62 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: via Sarfatti, 25 - 20136 Milano (Italy)
Web page: http://www.gde.unibocconi.it/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- L16 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Industrial Organization and Macroeconomics; Macroeconomic Industrial Structure
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Onori, Daria, 2012.
"Welfare, competition, specialization and growth,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 355-370.
- Daria Onori, 2011. "Welfare, Competition, Specialization and Growth," Working Papers halshs-00580722, HAL.
- Daria ONORI, 2011. "Welfare, Competition, Specialization and Growth," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011011, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Alberto BUCCI, 2004.
"An inverted-U relationship between product market competition and growth in an extended Romerian model,"
Departmental Working Papers
2004-26, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Alberto Bucci, 2005. "An Inverted-U Relationship between Product Market Competition and Growth in an Extended Romerian Model," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 95(5), pages 177-206, September.
- Alberto Bucci, 2003.
"R&D, imperfect competition and growth with human capital accumulation,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-11, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Alberto Bucci, 2003. "R&D, Imperfect Competition and Growth with Human Capital Accumulation," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 50(4), pages 417-439, 09.
- Alberto Bucci & Carmelo Parello, 2006.
"Horizontal Innovation-Based Growth and Product Market Competition,"
UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics
unimi-1032, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Bucci, Alberto & Parello, Carmelo Pierpaolo, 2009. "Horizontal innovation-based growth and product market competition," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 213-221, January.
- Scopelliti, Alessandro Diego, 2009.
"Competition and Economic Growth: a Critical Survey of the Theoretical Literature,"
20079, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alessandro D. SCOPELLITI, 2010. "Competition And Economic Growth: A Critical Survey Of The Theoretical Literature," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 5(1(11)_Spr), pages 70-93.
- Alberto BUCCI, 2004. "Human capital, product market power and economic growth," Departmental Working Papers 2004-21, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Erika Somma).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.