A Real Options and Game-Theoretic Approach to
AbstractAn investment strategy encompasses a sequence of tactical investment projects, of which several may yield a low return when considered in isolation. Some low-return investment projects can actually be seen as the first links in a chain of subsequent investment decisions. The value of these projects does not derive so much from their expected cash inflows but rather from the option to invest in a follow-up project for future commercial exploitation. For example, an R&D project, the development of a new technology, or entry into a new geographical market may create future investment opportunities. In strategy, these projects are often compared with options for future company growth.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 22 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Li, Yong & James, Barclay & Madhavan, Ravi & Mahoney, Joseph T., 2006. "Real Options: Taking Stock and Looking Ahead," Working Papers 06-0114, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Smit, Han T.J. & Trigeorgis, Lenos, 2006. "Real options and games: Competition, alliances and other applications of valuation and strategy," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 95-112.
- Pawlina, G. & Kort, P.M., 2001.
"Strategic Capital Budgeting: Asset Replacement Under Uncertainty,"
2001-4, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kort, P.M. & Pawlina, G., 2003. "Strategic capital budgeting: Asset replacement under uncertainty," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-123062, Tilburg University.
- Martzoukos, Spiros H & Zacharias, Eleftherios, 2008.
"Real Option Games with R&D and Learning Spillovers,"
12686, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martzoukos, Spiros H. & Zacharias, Eleftherios, 2013. "Real option games with R&D and learning spillovers," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 236-249.
- Reiss, Ariane, 1998. "Investment in Innovations and Competition: An Option Pricing Approach," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(3, Part 2), pages 635-650.
- Li, Yong & Mahoney, Joseph T., 2011. "When are venture capital projects initiated?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 239-254, March.
- Grzegorz Pawlina & Peter M. Kort, 2006.
"Real Options in an Asymmetric Duopoly: Who Benefits from Your Competitive Disadvantage?,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 1-35, 03.
- Pawlina, G. & Kort, P.M., 2001. "Real Options in an Aymmetric Duopoly: Who Benefits from your Competitive Disadvantage," Discussion Paper 2001-95, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Murto, Pauli & Nasakkala, Erkka & Keppo, Jussi, 2004. "Timing of investments in oligopoly under uncertainty: A framework for numerical analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 486-500, September.
- Ulrich Pape & Stephan Schmidt-Tank, 2005. "Valuing Joint Ventures Using Real Options," Finance 0503030, EconWPA.
- Hommel, Ulrich, 2003. "Financial versus operative hedging of currency risk," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-18, May.
- Gomes Santana Félix, Elisabete, 2003.
"Opções reais: tipologias e sua avaliação
[Real options: typologies and its evaluation]," MPRA Paper 6186, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ko, Chuan-Chuan & Lin, Tyrone T. & Yang, Chyan, 2011. "The venture capital entry model on game options with jump-diffusion process," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 87-94, November.
- Rosalba Padalino, 2004. "Opzioni reali e Investimenti in Ricerca e Sviluppo," Quaderni DSEMS 07-2004, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.