Open Market Stock Repurchase Signaling
AbstractThis paper presents a signaling model of open market repurchases that simulates the effects of a repurchase on the insiders' utility. If insiders refrain from tendering, then they are exposed to more risk. If insiders are risk averse, then the market can draw several inferences regarding the insiders' expectations of their firm's future earnings: 1) firms that repurchase more have higher earnings; 2) holding the repurchase proportion constant, riskier firms have higher earnings; and 3) holding proportion constant, firms where insiders have a greater ownership stake have higher earnings. I test the model's implications with a sample of over 700 US repurchases and find support for all three.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 28 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jung, Sung-Chang & Lee, Yong-Gyo & Thornton, John Jr., 2005. "An empirical comparison between operations of stabilization funds and stock repurchases in Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 319-341, June.
- Hatakeda, Takashi & Isagawa, Nobuyuki, 2004. "Stock price behavior surrounding stock repurchase announcements: Evidence from Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 271-290, June.
- Andreas Hackethal & Alexandre Zdantchouk, 2006. "Signaling Power of Open Market Share Repurchases in Germany," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 123-151, June.
- Ken Yook & Partha Gangopadhyay, 2011. "A comprehensive examination of the wealth effects of recent stock repurchase announcements," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 509-529, November.
- Andriosopoulos, Dimitris & Hoque, Hafiz, 2013. "The determinants of share repurchases in Europe," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 65-76.
- Estrella, Arturo, 2004. "The cyclical behavior of optimal bank capital," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1469-1498, June.
- Johannes A. Skjeltorp & Bernt Arne Ødegaard, 2004. "The ownership structure of repurchasing firms," Working Paper 2004/7, Norges Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.