Asset Liquidity and the Determinants of Asset Sales by Poorly Performing Firms
AbstractThis study analyzes factors that potentially are associated with higher incidences of asset sales by poorly performing firms. Consistent with Shleifer and Vishny’s (1992) asset liquidity model, I find that firms are more likely to sell assets if their industry’s growth rate is higher. The relation is stronger among firms less likely to suffer from a lack of flexibility arising from poor financial health. Firms also are more likely to sell assets if they are suffering from low debt capacity, experiencing the nonroutine turnover of its top officer, or have made acquisitions prior to their performance decline.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 31 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Richard J. Arend, 2008. "Differences in RBV strategic factors and the need to consider opposing factors in turnaround outcomes," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(4), pages 337-355.
- Officer, Micah S., 2007. "The price of corporate liquidity: Acquisition discounts for unlisted targets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 571-598, March.
- Shin, G. Hwan, 2008. "The profitability of asset sales as an explanation of asset divestitures," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 555-571, November.
- Alain Praet, 2011. "Voluntary firm restructuring: why do firms sell or liquidate their subsidiaries?," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 449-476, November.
- Canina, Linda & Carvell, Steven A. & Ma, Qingzhong & Ukhov, Andrey D., 2013. "Business cycle and asset valuation in the gaming industry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(9), pages 1689-1695.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.