The Option to Repurchase Stock
AbstractCompanies often announce their intention to reacquire share via open market transactions. However, these programs are not firm commitments. By design, they provide managers the flexibility to forego repurchasing stock. Managers concerned with maximizing the wealth of long-term stockholders will tend to buy back share when they view their stock as undervalued and otherwise forego repurchasing shares. We value this inherent flexibility as an exchange option in which the market price of the stock is exchanged for the true value of the stock. Hence, the announcement of a repurchase expands the company's investment opportunity set. In essence, the programs authorize management to use the firm's resources along with their "insider" valuation of the firm to the benefit of long-term shareholders.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 25 (1996)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chan, Konan & Ikenberry, David L. & Lee, Inmoo, 2007. "Do managers time the market? Evidence from open-market share repurchases," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2673-2694, September.
- Wang, Li-Hsun & Lin, Chu-Hsiung & Fung, Hung-Gay & Chen, Hsien-Ming, 2013. "An analysis of stock repurchase in Taiwan," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 497-513.
- Skinner, Douglas J., 2008. "The evolving relation between earnings, dividends, and stock repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 582-609, March.
- Oded, Jacob, 2009. "Optimal execution of open-market stock repurchase programs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 832-869, November.
- Gregory L. Adams & James C. Brau & Andrew Holmes, 2007. "REIT Stock Repurchases: Completion Rates, Long - Run Returns, and the Straddle Hypothesis," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 29(2), pages 115-136.
- Sébastien Dereeper & Frédéric Romon, 2006. "Rachats d’actions versus dividendes:effet de substitution sur le marché boursier français?," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 9(1), pages 157-186, March.
- Bargeron, Leonce & Kulchania, Manoj & Thomas, Shawn, 2011. "Accelerated share repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 69-89, July.
- Chen, Sheng-Syan & Wang, Yanzhi, 2012. "Financial constraints and share repurchases," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 311-331.
- Yook, Ken C., 2010. "Long-run stock performance following stock repurchases," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 323-331, August.
- Zhang, Hua, 2005. "Share price performance following actual share repurchases," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1887-1901, July.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 1999.
"Stock Repurchases in Canada: Performance and Strategic Trading,"
NBER Working Papers
7325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Ikenberry & Josef Lakonishok & Theo Vermaelen, 2000. "Stock Repurchases in Canada: Performance and Strategic Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 2373-2397, October.
- Andreas Hackethal & Alexandre Zdantchouk, 2006. "Signaling Power of Open Market Share Repurchases in Germany," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 123-151, June.
- Lander, Diane M. & Pinches, George E., 1998. "Challenges to the Practical Implementation of Modeling and Valuing Real Options," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(3, Part 2), pages 537-567.
- William J. Mcnally & Brian F. Smith, 2003. "Do Insiders Play by the Rules?," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 29(2), pages 125-143, June.
- Gow-Cheng Huang & Kartono Liano & Ming-Shiun Pan, 2009. "REIT Open-Market Stock Repurchases and Profitability," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 439-449, November.
- Lie, Erik, 2005. "Operating performance following open market share repurchase announcements," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 411-436, September.
- Robert A. Weigand & H. Kent Baker, 2009. "Changing perspectives on distribution policy: The evolution from dividends to share repurchase," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(6), pages 479-492, May.
- Hatakeda, Takashi & Isagawa, Nobuyuki, 2004. "Stock price behavior surrounding stock repurchase announcements: Evidence from Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 271-290, June.
- Jung, Sung-Chang & Lee, Yong-Gyo & Thornton, John Jr., 2005. "An empirical comparison between operations of stabilization funds and stock repurchases in Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 319-341, June.
- Kahle, Kathleen M., 2002. "When a buyback isn't a buyback: open market repurchases and employee options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 235-261, February.
- William Terando & Wayne Shaw & David Smith, 2007. "Valuation and classification of company issued cash and share-puts," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 223-240, October.
- Chan, Konan & Ikenberry, David L. & Lee, Inmoo & Wang, Yanzhi, 2010. "Share repurchases as a potential tool to mislead investors," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 137-158, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.