An Empirical Investigation of Leveraged Recapitalizations With Cash Payout as Takeover Defense
AbstractWe study 42 leveraged recapitalizations by takeover targets and find that the announcement is accompanied by a two-day abnormal return of 5.52% to shareholders. Bondholder wealth declines but not significantly. Cross-sectional analysis indicates cash payout is the key determinant to the stock price reaction. The findings support the hypothesis that a recap announcement is strategic game-playing by incumbent management and an attempt to outbid the raider. Overall, a recap announcement appears to be a risky strategy followed by incumbent management that may or may not be consistent with shareholder wealth-maximization in the long run.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 20 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Szilagyi, P.G., 2006.
"Corporate Restructuring and Bondholder Wealth,"
2006-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- James M. Mahoney & Chamu Sundaramurthy & Joseph T. Mahoney, 1996. "The effects of corporate antitakeover provisions on long-term investment: empirical evidence," Research Paper 9618, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Peyer, Urs C. & Shivdasani, Anil, 2001. "Leverage and internal capital markets: evidence from leveraged recapitalizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 477-515, March.
- Healy, Paul M. & Palepu, Krishna G., 1995. "The challenges of investor communication The case of CUC International, Inc," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 111-140, June.
- Bae, Sung C. & Simet, Daniel P., 1998. "A comparative analysis of leveraged recapitalization versus leveraged buyout as a takeover defense," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 157-172.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.