Absolute Priority Rule Violations and Risk Incentives for Financially Distressed Firms
AbstractIn a June 12, 1990 Wall Street Journal article entitled "Warning Flag: When a Firm's Stocks and Bonds Diverge," the stocks and bonds of companies such as Pan Am and TWA were cited as being clearly mispriced. How, the article asked, could Pan Am's stock be trading at $2.50 per share when its senior debt was only worth 30 to 40 cents on the dollar? A managing director of a mutual fund was quoted as stating the prices were "totally ridiculous," and he further remarked, "Either the bond is too cheap or the stock is too high." The article noted that, "At least in theory, if a company's creditors' can't be fully paid, its stock, which ranks lower among its financial obligations, is next to worthless." In other words, the absolute priority rule (APR) will be followed. The APR states that creditors should be fully compensated before shareholders receive any portion of the bankrupt firm's value.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 22 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bertrand Chopard & Eric Langlais, 2009.
"Défaut de paiement stratégique et loi sur les défaillances d’entreprise,"
Working Papers of BETA
2009-28, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Bertrand Chopard & Eric Langlais, 2009. "Défaut de paiement stratégique et loi sur les défaillances d’entreprises," EconomiX Working Papers 2009-10, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Chopard, Bertrand & Langlais, Eric, 2009.
"Défaut de paiement stratégique et loi sur les défaillances d'entreprises
[Strategic default and bankruptcy law]," MPRA Paper 14366, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lucian Arye Bebchuk, 2001.
"Ex Ante Costs of Violating Absolute Priority in Bankruptcy,"
NBER Working Papers
8388, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucian Arye Bebchuk, 2002. "Ex Ante Costs of Violating Absolute Priority in Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 445-460, 02.
- Bebchuk, Lucian Arye, 2001. "Ex Ante Costs of Violating Absolute Priority in Bankruptcy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2914, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Régis Blazy & Bertrand Chopard & Agnès Fimayer & Jean-Daniel Guigou, 2007.
"Financial versus Social Efficiency of Corporate Bankruptcy Law: the French Dilemma?,"
LSF Research Working Paper Series
07-02, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Régis Blazy & Bertrand Chopard & Agnès Fimayer & Jean-Daniel Guigou, 2009. "Financial versus Social Efficiency of Corporate Bankruptcy Law: the French Dilemma?," Working Papers of BETA 2009-12, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Pyo, Unyong & Thompson, Howard E., 2007. "Bond prices in a debt priority structure with absolute priority rule deviation," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 113-134, March.
- Stanley D. Longhofer, 1997. "Absolute priority rule violations, credit rationing, and efficiency," Working Paper 9710, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Philippe FroutÃ©, 2007. "Theoretical foundation for a debtor friendly bankruptcy law in favour of creditors," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 201-214, December.
- Bertrand Chopard, 2005. "« Ex post » vs « Ex ante » : le cas de l’économie du droit de la faillite," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 81(4), pages 291-303.
- Stanley D. Longhofer, 1994. "Bankruptcy rules and debt contracting: on the relative efficiency of absolute priority, proportionate priority, and first-come, first-served rules," Working Paper 9415, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Stanley D. Longhofer & Stephen R. Peters, 2000. "Protection for whom? creditor conflicts in bankruptcy," Working Paper 9909R, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Esty, Benjamin C., 1998. "The impact of contingent liability on commercial bank risk taking," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 189-218, February.
- Longhofer, Stanley D., 1997. "Absolute Priority Rule Violations, Credit Rationing, and Efficiency," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 249-267, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.