The Role of Private and Public Debt in Corporate Capital Structures
AbstractThis paper examines the extent of reliance on private debt from 1980 through 1988 for a set of firms selected from Fortune 500 firms in 1980. The average firm in this set obtained more than half of its debt from private sources throughout the period, with a slight decline in the mid-1980's. Cross-sectional analysis reveals that a firm's reliance on private markets for debt financing is negatively related to the amount of outstanding long-term debt. Use of private debt is not linked to standard proxies for the potential for leverage-related costs for this group of firms.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 20 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Saibal Ghosh, 2007. "Bank Debt Use and Firm Size: Indian Evidence," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 15-23, June.
- Esho, Neil & Lam, Yung & Sharpe, Ian G., 2002. "Are maturity and debt type decisions interrelated? Evidence from Australian firms in international capital markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 549-569, November.
- Hooks, Linda M., 2003. "The impact of firm size on bank debt use," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 173-189.
- Galina Hale & João A. C. Santos, 2006. "Evidence on the costs and benefits of bond IPOs," Working Paper Series 2006-42, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Hale, Galina & Santos, João A.C., 2008. "The decision to first enter the public bond market: The role of firm reputation, funding choices, and bank relationships," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1928-1940, September.
- Mark Carey S. & Stephen Prowse & John Rea & Gregory Udell, 1993. "The economics of the private placement market," Staff Studies 166, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nakamura, Masao, 2002. "Mixed ownership of industrial firms in Japan: debt financing, banks and vertical keiretsu groups," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 231-247, September.
- Sharpe, Ian G. & Woo, Li-Anne E., 2005. "Corporate control, expected underpricing, and the choice of issuance mechanism in unseasoned equity markets," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 716-735, September.
- Sylvain Champonnois, 2006.
"Comparing Financial Systems: A structural Analysis,"
2006 Meeting Papers
520, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Champonnois, Sylvain, 2006. "Comparing financial systems: a structural analysis," Working Paper Series 0702, European Central Bank.
- Mehdi Nekhili, 1999.
"Le choix du type et de la maturité de la dette par les firmes françaises,"
Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie,
revues.org, vol. 2(3), pages 179-206, September.
- Mehdi Nekhili, 1999. "Le choix du type et de la maturité de la dette par les firmes françaises," Working Papers CREGO 0990901, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Esho, Neil & Lam, Yung & Sharpe, Ian G., 2001. "Choice of Financing Source in International Debt Markets," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 276-305, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.