Factors Affecting Price Earnings Ratios and Market Values of Japanese Firms
AbstractThis paper investigates cross-sectional explanations of Japanese PE ratios by focusing on two dependent variables, the percentage change in the PE ratio (PE) and the percentage change in the market value of equity (MV). Results of this study suggest that changes in the value of hidden assets such as land, changes in the patterns of ownership by Japanese individuals, and foreign investors, changes in expected earnings growth and earnings risk, and changes in dividends per share and dividend payout are significantly related to changes in PE ratios and market values. Our results, therefore, support the contention of French and Poterba that changes in land values appear to explain at least a portion of changes in Japanese PE ratios.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 20 (1991)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Constand, Richard L. & Pace, R. Daniel, 1998. "Another look at corporate ownership in Japan," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 127-147.
- Katz, Jeffrey P. & Werner, Steve & Brouthers, Lance, 1999. "Does Winning Mean the Same Thing around the World? National Ideology and the Performance of Global Competitors," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 117-126, February.
- Prem Jain & Joshua Rosett, 2006. "Macroeconomic variables and the E/P ratio: Is inflation really positively associated with the E/P ratio?," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 5-26, August.
- Nikbakht, Ehsan & Polat, Celaleddin, 1998. "A global perspective of P/E ratio determinants: The case of ADRs," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 253-267.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.