An Analysis of Prices, Bid/Ask Spreads, and Bid and Ask Depths Surrounding Ivan Boesky's Illegal Trading in Carnation's Stock
AbstractIn 1984, Ivan Boesky purchased 1.7 million shares of Carnation's stock on the basis of illegally obtained insider information. The events and data allow testing of the impact of informed trading on share prices and market liquidity. A positive and significant relation is found between Boesky's trades and stock price changes, but bid/ask spreads were not significantly affected. Bid and ask depths were either unaffected or improved by his trades.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 26 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anand, Amber & Chakravarty, Sugato & Martell, Terrence, 2005. "Empirical evidence on the evolution of liquidity: Choice of market versus limit orders by informed and uninformed traders," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 288-308, August.
- Kedia, Simi & Zhou, Xing, 2014. "Informed trading around acquisitions: Evidence from corporate bonds," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 18(C), pages 182-205.
- P.J. Engelen & Luc van Liedekerke, 2006. "An ethical analysis of regulating insider trading," Working Papers 06-05, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Sugato Chakravarty, 2002.
"Stealth-Trading: Which Traders' Trades Move Stock Prices?,"
- Chakravarty, Sugato, 2001. "Stealth-trading: Which traders' trades move stock prices?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 289-307, August.
- Leslie A. Jeng & Andrew Metrick & Richard Zeckhauser, . "Estimating the Returns to Insider Trading," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 19-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Madura, Jeff & Marciniak, Marek, 2014. "Bidder country characteristics and informed trading in U.S. targets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 256-284.
- Michael R. King, 2009.
"Prebid Run-Ups Ahead of Canadian Takeovers: How Big Is the Problem?,"
Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(4), pages 699-726, December.
- Michael R. King & Maksym Padalko, 2005. "Pre-Bid Run-Ups Ahead of Canadian Takeovers: How Big Is the Problem?," Working Papers 05-3, Bank of Canada.
- Robinson, W.T. & Min, S., 1998. "Is the First to Market the First to fail?: Empirical Evidence for Manufacturing Business," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1115, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Olivier Brandouy & Pascal Barneto & Lawrence Leger, 2003. "Asymmetric information, imitative behaviour and communication: price formation in an experimental asset market," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(5), pages 393-419.
- Chakravarty, Sugato & Harris, Fredreck H. deB. & Wood, Roger A., 2001.
"Do Bid-Ask Spreads or Bid and Ask Depths Convey New Information First?,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1149, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Sugato Chakravarty & Frederick H. deB. Harris & Robert A. Wood, 2002. "Do Bid-Ask Spreads Or Bid and Ask Depths Convey New Information First?," Econometrics 0201003, EconWPA.
- Peter-Jan Engelen & Luc Liedekerke, 2007. "The Ethics of Insider Trading Revisited," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 74(4), pages 497-507, September.
- Podolski, Edward J. & Truong, Cameron & Veeraraghavan, Madhu, 2013. "Informed options trading prior to takeovers – Does the regulatory environment matter?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 286-305.
- Fishe, Raymond P. H. & Robe, Michel A., 2004. "The impact of illegal insider trading in dealer and specialist markets: evidence from a natural experiment," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 461-488, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.