Ownership Structure, Charter Value, and Risk-Taking Behavior for Thrifts
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationships among manager ownership, charter value, and thrift risk-taking for 1986 to 1995, a decade of significant regulatory change. We hypothesize that during periods of regulatory laxity and low charter values, manager-owned thrifts are likely to engage in unprofitable risk-taking. However, for periods of regulatory efficacy and high charter values, manager-owners are likely to engage in profitable risk-taking. In support of these premises, we find that manager-owned thrifts exhibit unprofitable risk-taking in the mid-1980s, years of regulatory laxity and low charter values, but demonstrate profitable risk-taking in the mid-1990s, a period of more stringent regulations and high charter values.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 28 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jiang Cheng & Elyas Elyasiani & Jingyi (Jane) Jia, 2011. "Institutional Ownership Stability and Risk Taking: Evidence from the Life-Health Insurance Industry," NFI Working Papers 2011-WP-14, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Tai, Vivian W. & Lai, Yi-Hsun & Lin, Lin, 2014. "Local institutional shareholders and corporate hedging policies," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 287-312.
- Sun Eae Chun & Mamoru Nagano & Min Hwan Lee, 2011.
"Ownership Structure and Risk‐taking Behavior: Evidence from Banks in Korea and Japan,"
Asian Economic Journal,
East Asian Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 151-175, 06.
- Chun, Sun Eae & Nagano, Mamoru & Lee, Min Hwan, 2010. "Ownership Structure and Risk-taking Behavior: Evidence from Banks in Korea and Japan," MPRA Paper 25334, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Walter Dolde & John Knopf, 2010. "Insider Ownership, Risk, and Leverage in REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 412-432, November.
- Cook, Douglas O. & Hogan, Arthur & Kieschnick, Robert, 2004. "A study of the corporate governance of thrifts," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1247-1271, June.
- Rubi Ahmad & M. Ariff & Michael Skully, 2008.
"The Determinants of Bank Capital Ratios in a Developing Economy,"
Asia-Pacific Financial Markets,
Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 255-272, December.
- Michael J. Skully & Rubi Ahmad & M. Ariff, 2009. "The Determinants of Bank Capital Ratios in a Developing Economy," CARF F-Series CARF-F-147, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Bowo Setiyono & Amine Tarazi, 2014. "Disclosure, ownership structure and bank risk: Evidence from Asia," Working Papers hal-00947590, HAL.
- Forssbæck, Jens, 2011. "Ownership structure, market discipline, and banks' risk-taking incentives under deposit insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 2666-2678, October.
- Teresa garcía Marco & M. Dolores Robles-Fernández, 2005.
"Risk tasking behaviour and ownership in the banking industry: the Spanish evidence,"
Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE
0507, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Garcia-Marco, Teresa & Robles-Fernández, M. Dolores, 2008. "Risk-taking behaviour and ownership in the banking industry: The Spanish evidence," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 332-354.
- Sullivan, Richard J. & Spong, Kenneth R., 2007. "Manager wealth concentration, ownership structure, and risk in commercial banks," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 229-248, April.
- Robert DeYoung & Kenneth Spong & Richard J. Sullivan, 1999. "Who's minding the store? motivating and monitoring hired managers at small, closely held firms: the case of commercial banks," Working Paper Series WP-99-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Westman, Hanna, 2011. "The impact of management and board ownership on profitability in banks with different strategies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 3300-3318.
- Landskroner, Yoram & Paroush, Jacob, 2008. "Bank management and market discipline," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 395-414.
- Uchida, Hirofumi & Satake, Mitsuhiko, 2009. "Market discipline and bank efficiency," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 792-802, December.
- Anderson, Ronald C. & Fraser, Donald R., 2000. "Corporate control, bank risk taking, and the health of the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(8), pages 1383-1398, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.