US-Bound IPOs: Issue Costs and Selective Entry
AbstractWe examine 245 international firms making initial public offerings (IPOs) in the United States between 1991 and 1999, and compare their underwriting fees and indirect costs of underpricing to the IPOs of domestic US issuers. Our results indicate that foreign IPOs experience approximately the same costs on average as domestic IPOs. The risk of foreign IPOs arising from asymmetric information and high country risk is offset by characteristics that reduce their risk relative to domestic US IPOs. Foreign US IPO issuers are larger firms with tangible assets that originate from countries sharing a common border and language with the United States. These issues occur following periods of strong home market equity performance and stable currency conditions, which help to alleviate country risk.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 33 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chaplinsky, Susan & Ramchand, Latha, 2012. "What drives delistings of foreign firms from U.S. Exchanges?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 1126-1148.
- Congsheng Wu, 2012. "Country risk and valuation of US-listed foreign IPOs," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(10), pages 939-957, October.
- Cai, Kelly Nianyun & Lee, Hei Wai & Valero, Magali, 2010. "Changing underwriting practices on underpricing of U.S. global initial public offerings," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(12), pages 1317-1323, December.
- Hursti, Jani & Maula, Markku V.J., 2007. "Acquiring financial resources from foreign equity capital markets: An examination of factors influencing foreign initial public offerings," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 833-851, November.
- Garner, Jacqueline L. & Marshall, Beverly B., 2010. "The non-7% solution," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1664-1674, July.
- Bruner, Robert & Chaplinsky, Susan & Ramchand, Latha, 2006. "Coming to America: IPOs from emerging market issuers," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 191-212, September.
- Yang, Ting & Lau, Sie Ting, 2006. "Choice of foreign listing location: Experience of Chinese firms," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 311-326, June.
- Chen, Hsuan-Chi & Fauver, Larry & Yang, Pei-Ching, 2009. "What do investment banks charge to underwrite American Depositary Receipts?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 609-618, April.
- Valero, Magali & Lee, Hei Wai & Cai, Nianyun (Kelly), 2009. "Cross-listing pursuit of unseasoned foreign firms after going public in the U.S," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(8), pages 797-804, August.
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Doidge, Craig, 2010. "Does cross-listing facilitate changes in corporate ownership and control?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 208-223, January.
- Visaltanachoti, Nuttawat & Yang, Ting, 2010. "Speed of convergence to market efficiency for NYSE-listed foreign stocks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 594-605, March.
- Chen, Hsuan-Chi & Hao, (Grace) Qing, 2011. "Insider trading law enforcement and gross spreads of ADR IPOs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1907-1917, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.