US-Bound IPOs: Issue Costs and Selective Entry
AbstractWe examine 245 international firms making initial public offerings (IPOs) in the United States between 1991 and 1999, and compare their underwriting fees and indirect costs of underpricing to the IPOs of domestic US issuers. Our results indicate that foreign IPOs experience approximately the same costs on average as domestic IPOs. The risk of foreign IPOs arising from asymmetric information and high country risk is offset by characteristics that reduce their risk relative to domestic US IPOs. Foreign US IPO issuers are larger firms with tangible assets that originate from countries sharing a common border and language with the United States. These issues occur following periods of strong home market equity performance and stable currency conditions, which help to alleviate country risk.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 33 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Visaltanachoti, Nuttawat & Yang, Ting, 2010. "Speed of convergence to market efficiency for NYSE-listed foreign stocks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 594-605, March.
- Garner, Jacqueline L. & Marshall, Beverly B., 2010. "The non-7% solution," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1664-1674, July.
- Valero, Magali & Lee, Hei Wai & Cai, Nianyun (Kelly), 2009. "Cross-listing pursuit of unseasoned foreign firms after going public in the U.S," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(8), pages 797-804, August.
- Chen, Hsuan-Chi & Fauver, Larry & Yang, Pei-Ching, 2009. "What do investment banks charge to underwrite American Depositary Receipts?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 609-618, April.
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Doidge, Craig, 2010. "Does cross-listing facilitate changes in corporate ownership and control?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 208-223, January.
- Congsheng Wu, 2012. "Country risk and valuation of US-listed foreign IPOs," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(10), pages 939-957, October.
- Yang, Ting & Lau, Sie Ting, 2006. "Choice of foreign listing location: Experience of Chinese firms," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 311-326, June.
- Chaplinsky, Susan & Ramchand, Latha, 2012. "What drives delistings of foreign firms from U.S. Exchanges?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 1126-1148.
- Bruner, Robert & Chaplinsky, Susan & Ramchand, Latha, 2006. "Coming to America: IPOs from emerging market issuers," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 191-212, September.
- Yaseen Alhaj-Yaseen, 2013. "Cross-listing in the home market after going public in the U.S," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 274-292, April.
- Chen, Hsuan-Chi & Hao, (Grace) Qing, 2011. "Insider trading law enforcement and gross spreads of ADR IPOs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1907-1917, August.
- Hursti, Jani & Maula, Markku V.J., 2007. "Acquiring financial resources from foreign equity capital markets: An examination of factors influencing foreign initial public offerings," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 833-851, November.
- Cai, Kelly Nianyun & Lee, Hei Wai & Valero, Magali, 2010. "Changing underwriting practices on underpricing of U.S. global initial public offerings," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(12), pages 1317-1323, December.
- Alhaj-Yaseen, Yaseen S. & Lam, Eddery & Barkoulas, John T., 2014. "Price discovery for cross-listed firms with foreign IPOs," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 80-87.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.