Corporate Finance in Europe: Confronting Theory with Practice
AbstractWe present the results of an international survey of 313 European CFOs on capital budgeting, cost of capital, capital structure, and corporate governance. We find that although large firms often use present value techniques and the capital asset pricing model to assess the feasibility of an investment opportunity, CFOs of small firms still rely on the payback criterion. In capital structure policy, financial flexibility appears to be the most important factor in determining the amount of corporate debt. Corporate finance practice appears to be influenced mostly by firm size, to a lesser extent by shareholder orientation, and least by national influences.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 33 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tor Brunzell & Eva Liljeblom & Mika Vaihekoski, 2013. "Determinants of capital budgeting methods and hurdle rates in Nordic firms," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 53(1), pages 85-110, 03.
- Pasqual, Joan & Padilla, Emilio & Jadotte, Evans, 2013. "Technical note: Equivalence of different profitability criteria with the net present value," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 205-210.
- Ludwig Reinhard & Steven Li, 2010. "A note on capital structure target adjustment – Indonesian evidence," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(3), pages 245-259, July.
- Osborne, Michael J., 2010. "A resolution to the NPV-IRR debate?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 234-239, May.
- Kleff, Volker, 2005. "Capital policy of German savings banks: a survey," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-63, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007.
"Correct or incorrect application of CAPM? Correct or incorrect decisions with CAPM?,"
5471, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2009. "Correct or incorrect application of CAPM? Correct or incorrect decisions with CAPM?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(2), pages 549-560, January.
- Vasiliou, Dimitrios & Daskalakis, Nikolaos, 2009. "Institutional characteristics and capital structure: A cross-national comparison," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 286-306.
- Smid, P. & Yao, L. & Hermes, N., 2006.
"Capital Budgetting Practices: A comparative Study of the Netherlands and China,"
06E02, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Hermes, Niels & Smid, Peter & Yao, Lu, 2007. "Capital budgeting practices: A comparative study of the Netherlands and China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 630-654, October.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Christophe Rault & Ana Maria Sova & Robert Sova & Frédéric Teulon, 2013.
"Market Structure and the Cost of Capital,"
- Schauten, M.B.J. & Spronk, J., 2006. "Optimal Capital Structure: Reflections on Economic and Other Values," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-074-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Anastassiadis, Friederike & Liebe, Ulf & Musshoff, Oliver, 2012. "Finanzielle Flexibilität In Landwirtschaftlichen Investitionsentscheidungen: Ein Discrete Choice Experiment," 52nd Annual Conference, Stuttgart, Germany, September 26-28, 2012 137142, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Carlo Alberto Magni, 2007.
"Project valuation and investment decisions: CAPM versus arbitrage,"
Applied Financial Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 3(2), pages 137-140.
- Magni, Carlo Alberto, 2007. "Project valuation and investment decisions: CAPM versus arbitrage," MPRA Paper 14525, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- van Dijk, Mathijs A., 2011. "Is size dead? A review of the size effect in equity returns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 3263-3274.
- Eric Molay, 2005. "La structure financière du capital:tests empiriques sur le marché français," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 8(4), pages 153-175, December.
- Dimitrios Vasiliou & Nikolaos Eriotis & Nikolaos Daskalakis, 2009. "Testing the pecking order theory: the importance of methodology," Qualitative Research in Financial Markets, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 85-96, June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2008:i:9:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter Markovič & Michal Šinský, 2009. "Trends in application of capital budgeting methods for investment projects evaluation," Ekonomika a Management, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(1).
- Brounen, Dirk & de Jong, Abe & Koedijk, Kees, 2006. "Capital structure policies in Europe: Survey evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1409-1442, May.
- Mahajan, Arvind & Tartaroglu, Semih, 2008. "Equity market timing and capital structure: International evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 754-766, May.
- Eric Molay, 2006. "Un Test De La Théorie Du Financement Hiérarchisé Sur Données De Panel Françaises," Post-Print halshs-00515707, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.