Managerial Ownership, Debt Policy, and the Impact of Institutional Holdings: An Agency Perspective
AbstractThis study investigates the effects of' institutional ownership on the debt policy and managerial ownership of the firm. Earlier literature on the agency model of the firm widely recognizes that the use of managerial stock ownership and external debt play an important role in limiting agency conflicts and enhancing firm value. The literature also recognizes that external monitors, such as institutional investors, can serve a useful role in limiting agency problems in the firm. However, investigations into the usefulness of' these agency-conflict-reducing mechanisms have tended to treat each in isolation with little attempt to study the inter-relationships among them. This study examines the impact of institutional holdings on managerial ownership and debt policy in an integrated framework utilizing a simultaneous system of equations estimation procedure. The study hypothesizes that the use of debt and managerial stock ownership are inversely related to institutional ownership in the firm. The empirical evidence provided in this study is consistent with this hypothesis.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 23 (1994)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Crutchley, Claire E. & Jensen, Marlin R. H. & JaheraJr., John S. & Raymond, Jennie E., 1999. "Agency problems and the simultaneity of financial decision making: The role of institutional ownership," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 177-197, June.
- Fok, Robert C. W. & Carroll, Carolyn & Chiou, Ming C., 1997. "Determinants of corporate hedging and derivatives: A revisit," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 569-585.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2007. "Leverage, managerial monitoring and firm valuation: A simultaneous equation approach," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 84-98, June.
- Seifert, Bruce & Gonenc, Halit & Wright, Jim, 2005. "The international evidence on performance and equity ownership by insiders, blockholders, and institutions," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 171-191, April.
- Elsayed, Khaled & Wahba, Hayam, 2013. "Reinvestigating the relationship between ownership structure and inventory management: A corporate governanceperspective," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 207-218.
- Richardson, Grant & Lanis, Roman & Leung, Sidney Chi-Moon, 2014. "Corporate tax aggressiveness, outside directors, and debt policy: An empirical analysis," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 107-121.
- de Miguel, Alberto & Pindado, Julio, 2001. "Determinants of capital structure: new evidence from Spanish panel data," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 77-99, March.
- Kitsabunnarat-Chatjuthamard, Pattanaporn & Lung, Peter & Nishikawa, Takeshi & Rao, Ramesh P., 2010. "Leverage-reducing exchange offers and bondholder-stockholder wealth transfers: A re-evaluation," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 81-94, January.
- Velury, Uma & Jenkins, David S., 2006. "Institutional ownership and the quality of earnings," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(9), pages 1043-1051, September.
- Adel BOUBAKER & Mediha MEZHOUD, 2012. "Impact Of Internal Governance Mechanisms On The Ipo Long Term Performance," Review of Economic and Business Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, issue 10, pages 129-146, December.
- Gugler, Klaus & Mueller, Dennis C. & Yurtoglu, B. Burcin, 2008. "Insider ownership, ownership concentration and investment performance: An international comparison," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 688-705, December.
- Helen Short & Kevin Keasey & Darren Duxbury, 2002. "Capital Structure, Management Ownership and Large External Shareholders: A UK Analysis," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 375-399.
- Lim, Ungki & Kim, Chang-Soo, 2005. "Determinants of ownership structure: An empirical study of the Korean conglomerates," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Barakat, Mounther-Hussein & Rao, Ramesh-P, 2003. "The role of taxes in capital structure: evidence from taxed and non-taxed Arab economies," MPRA Paper 25472, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2006.
- McGuire, Jean & Dow, Sandra, 2002. "The Japanese keiretsu system: an empirical analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 33-40, January.
- Din, Shahab-u- & Javid, Attiya Yasmin, 2011. "Impact of managerial ownership on financial policies and the firm’s performance: evidence Pakistani manufacturing firms," MPRA Paper 37560, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Kyaw, NyoNyo Aung, 2010. "Capital structure, dividend policy, and multinationality: Theory versus empirical evidence," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 140-150, March.
- Haris Arshad & Attiya Yasmin Javid, 2014. "Does Inside Ownership Matters in Financial Decisions and Firm Performance: Evidence from Manufacturing Sector of Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 2014:107, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.