The Long-Run Performance of Mergers and Acquisitions: Evidence from the Canadian Stock Market
AbstractWe study the long-term performance of 267 Canadian mergers and acquisitions that take place between 1980 and 2000, using different calendar-time approaches with and without overlapping cases. Our results suggest that Canadian acquirers significantly underperform over the three-year post-event period. Further analysis shows that our results are consistent with the extrapolation and the method-of-payment hypotheses; that is, glamour acquirers and equity financed deals underperform. We also find that cross-border deals perform poorly in the long run.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Financial Management Association in its journal Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 33 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of South Florida 4202 E. Fowler Ave. COBA #3331 Tampa, FL 33620
Web page: http://www.fma.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- de La Bruslerie, Hubert, 2012. "Corporate acquisition process: Is there an optimal cash-equity payment mix?," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 83-94.
- Taher Hamza, 2009. "La performance à court et à long terme de l'acquéreur:l'impact de la détention d'une position de contrôle," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 12(1), pages 33-65, March.
- Danny Yeung, 2012. "The Impact of Institutional Ownership: A Study of the Australian Equity Market," PhD Thesis, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney, number 11.
- Jan-Peer Laabs & Dirk Schiereck, 2010. "The long-term success of M&A in the automotive supply industry: determinants of capital market performance," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 61-88, January.
- Hubert De La Bruslerie, 2012. "Corporate acquisistion process: is there an optimal cash-equity payment mix?," Post-Print halshs-00636349, HAL.
- Lee Siew Peng & Mansor Isa, 2012. "Long-term share performance of Malaysian acquiring firms," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(10), pages 958-976, October.
- Taher Hamza, 2011. "Determinants of short-term value creation for the bidder: evidence from France," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 157-186, May.
- Banerjee, Pradip & Banerjee, Prithviraj & De, Soumen & Jindra, Jan & Mukhopadhyay, Jayanta, 2014. "Acquisition pricing in India during 1995–2011: Have Indian acquirers really beaten the odds?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 14-30.
- David Hyland, 2008. "The long-run performance of diversifying firms," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 294-310, July.
- Yen, Tze-Yu & Andre, Paul, 2007. "Ownership structure and operating performance of acquiring firms: The case of English-origin countries," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 380-405.
- Dutta, Shantanu & Jog, Vijay, 2009. "The long-term performance of acquiring firms: A re-examination of an anomaly," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1400-1412, August.
- Svetlana Grigorieva & Tatiana Petrunina, 2013. "The performance of mergers and acquisitions in emerging capital markets: new evidence," HSE Working papers WP BRP 20/FE/2013, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Stefka Iankova, 2013. "Success and Failure Factors of the Mergers and Acquisitions Performance: Evidence from Bulgaria," International Journal of Economics & Business Administration (IJEBA), International Journal of Economics & Business Administration (IJEBA), vol. 0(1), pages 79-90.
- Quan Hoang Vuong & Tran Tri Dung & Thi Chau Ha NguyenN, 2009. "Mergers and Acquisitions in Vietnam’s Emerging Market Economy, 1990-2009," Working Papers CEB 09-045.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Courtney Connors) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Courtney Connors to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.