Market returns and mutual fund flows
AbstractWith the increased popularity of mutual funds come increased concerns. Namely, could a sharp drop in stock and bond prices set off a cascade of redemptions by mutual fund investors and could the redemptions exert further downward pressure on asset markets? The authors analyze this relationship by using instrumental variables--a measuring technique previously unapplied to market returns and mutual fund flows--to determine the effect of returns on flows. Despite market observers' fears of a downward spiral in asset prices, the authors conclude that the short-term effect of market returns on mutual fund flows typically has been too weak to sustain such a spiral.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of New York in its journal Economic Policy Review.
Volume (Year): (1997)
Issue (Month): Jul ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Lee & Andrei Shleifer & Richard Thaler, 1990.
"Investor Sentiment and the Closed-End Fund Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
3465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael J. Fleming & Eli M. Remolona, 1997.
"What moves the bond market?,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Dec, pages 31-50.
- Peter Fortune, 1998. "Mutual funds, part II: fund flows and security returns," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jan, pages 3-22.
- Watson, John & Wickramanayake, J., 2012. "The relationship between aggregate managed fund flows and share market returns in Australia," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 451-472.
- Robert E. Litan, 1997. "Institutions and policies for maintaining financial stability," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 257-297.
- David Ling & Andy Naranjo, 2006. "Dedicated REIT Mutual Fund Flows and REIT Performance," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 409-433, June.
- Syriopoulos, Theodore, 2002. "Risk aversion and portfolio allocation to mutual fund classes," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 427-447.
- David Ling & Gianluca Marcato & Pat McAllister, 2009. "Dynamics of Asset Prices and Transaction Activity in Illiquid Markets: the Case of Private Commercial Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 359-383, October.
- Cha, Heung-Joo & Kim, Jaebeom, 2010. "Stock returns and investment trust flows in the Japanese financial market: A system approach," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 327-332, August.
- Stefan Thurner & J. Doyne Farmer & John Geanakoplos, 2012.
"Leverage causes fat tails and clustered volatility,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(5), pages 695-707, February.
- Stefan Thurner & J. Doyne Farmer & John Geanakoplos, 2009. "Leverage Causes Fat Tails and Clustered Volatility," Papers 0908.1555, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2010.
- Stefan Thurner & J. Doyne Farmer & John Geanakoplos, 2010. "Leverage Causes Fat Tails and Clustered Volatility," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1745R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Nov 2011.
- Stefan Thurner & J. Doyne Farmer & John Geanakoplos, 2010. "Leverage Causes Fat Tails and Clustered Volatility," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1745, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Poledna, Sebastian & Thurner, Stefan & Farmer, J. Doyne & Geanakoplos, John, 2014. "Leverage-induced systemic risk under Basle II and other credit risk policies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 199-212.
- Narulita, Wista A. & Parwada, Jerry T., 2012. "Evolution of a mutual fund market: Empirical analysis of simultaneous growth and decline by fund category in Indonesia," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 1217-1236.
- Philip Strahan, 1998. "Securities class actions, corporate governance and managerial agency problems," Research Paper 9816, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Keith Cuthbertson & Dirk Nitzsche & Niall O' Sullivan, 2004. "UK Mutual Fund Performance: Genuine Stock-Picking Ability or Luck," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 55, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.