Trends in federal funds rate volatility
AbstractThe behavior of the fed funds rate-a key monetary policy target and a benchmark for short-term interest rates-is closely watched by many market participants. After a decade marked by periodic bouts of high volatility in the funds rate, volatility has declined sharply since 2001. An analysis of the major factors influencing the rate's behavior shows that some of the forces behind the current fall in volatility first emerged in response to the earlier increases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of New York in its journal Current Issues in Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): Jul ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sandra C. Krieger, 2002. "Recent trends in monetary policy implementation: a view from the desk," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 73-76.
- Paul Bennett & Stavros Peristiani, 2002. "Are U.S. reserve requirements still binding?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 53-68.
- Paul Bennett & Spence Hilton, 1997. "Falling reserve balances and the federal funds rate," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May.
- Elizabeth Klee, 2007. "Operational problems and aggregate uncertainty in the federal funds market," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2007-49, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Klee, Elizabeth, 2010. "Operational outages and aggregate uncertainty in the federal funds market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2386-2402, October.
- Nautz, Dieter & Schmidt, Sandra, 2008.
"Monetary Policy Implementation and the Federal Funds Rate,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
08-025, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Nautz, Dieter & Schmidt, Sandra, 2009. "Monetary policy implementation and the federal funds rate," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1274-1284, July.
- repec:cfs:cfswop:wp200716 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.