Pre-IPO financial performance and aftermarket survival
AbstractMany commentators have portrayed the tech boom of the late 1990s as an era of unprecedented deterioration in the quality of firms undertaking initial public offerings. But as far back as the early 1980s, firms seeking to go public were displaying signs of financial weakness, and the failure rate of issuers was on the rise. An analysis of the likelihood of failure among IPO firms in 1980-2000 suggests that pre-issue profitability is a good predictor of aftermarket survival.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of New York in its journal Current Issues in Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): Feb ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jay R. Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002.
"A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing, and Allocations,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(4), pages 1795-1828, 08.
- Jay Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002. "A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing, and Allocations," NBER Working Papers 8805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jay Ritter & Ivo Welch, 2002. "A Review of IPO Activity, Pricing and Allocations," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm258, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Apr 2002.
- Ritter, Jay R, 1991. " The Long-run Performance of Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 3-27, March.
- Jain, Bharat A & Kini, Omesh, 1994. " The Post-Issue Operating Performance of IPO Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1699-1726, December.
- Carter, Richard B & Manaster, Steven, 1990. " Initial Public Offerings and Underwriter Reputation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1045-67, September.
- Shane A. Corwin & Jeffrey H. Harris, 2001. "The Initial Listing Decisions of Firms that Go Public," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 30(1), Spring.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Cécile Carpentier & Jean-Marc Suret, 2009. "The Survival and Success of Canadian Penny Stock IPOs," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-28, CIRANO.
- Cao, Melanie & Shi, Shouyong, 2006.
"Signaling in the Internet craze of initial public offerings,"
Journal of Corporate Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 818-833, September.
- Cao Melanie & Shouyong Shi, 2002. "Signalling in the Internet Craze of Initial Public Offerings," Working Papers shouyong-02-03, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Ioannis Asimakopoulos & Dionysis Lalountas & Costas Siriopoulos, 2008. "The determinants for the survival of firms in the Athens Exchange," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 31, pages 07-30, November.
- Tomáš Buus, 2008. "Performance of Quoted and Non-quoted Companies in the Europe," European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2008(4), pages 45-69.
- Constant Djama & Isabelle Martinez & Stéphanie Serve, 2012. "What do we know about delistings? A survey of the literature," THEMA Working Papers 2012-38, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.