The credit crunch of 2007-2008: a discussion of the background, market reactions, and policy responses
AbstractThis paper discusses the events surrounding the 2007-08 credit crunch. It highlights the period of exceptional macrostability, the global savings glut, and financial innovation in mortgage-backed securities as the precursors to the crisis. The credit crunch itself occurred when house prices fell and subprime mortgage defaults increased. These events caused investors to reappraise the risks of high-yielding securities, bank failures, and sharp increases in the spreads on funds in interbank markets. The paper evaluates the actions of the authorities that provided liquidity to the markets and failing banks and indicates areas where improvements could be made. Similarly, it examines the regulation and supervision during this time and argues the need for changes to avoid future crises.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its journal Review.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): Sep ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajdeep Sengupta & William R. Emmons, 2007. "What is subprime lending?," Monetary Trends, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jun.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier, 2008. "Deciphering the Liquidity and Credit Crunch 2007-08," NBER Working Papers 14612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Luc Laeven & Deniz Igan, 2008.
"Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market,"
IMF Working Papers
08/106, International Monetary Fund.
- Giovanni Dell’Ariccia & Deniz Igan & Luc Laeven, 2012. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44, pages 367-384, 03.
- Dell’Ariccia, G. & Igan, D. & Laeven, L., 2009. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence from the Subprime Mortgage Market," Discussion Paper 2009-46 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dell''Ariccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Laeven, Luc, 2008. "Credit Booms and Lending Standards: Evidence From The Subprime Mortgage Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 6683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Felton, Andrew, 2008. "The First Global Financial Crisis of the 21st Century," MPRA Paper 11862, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Holland, Thomas E, 1969. "'Operation Twist' and the Movement of Interest Rates and Related Economic Time Series," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 10(3), pages 260-65, October.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 2002. "Deflation: making sure "it" doesn't happen here," Speech 530, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ben S. Bernanke & Cara S. Lown, 1991. "The Credit Crunch," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 205-248.
- repec:fip:fedgsq:y:2002:i:nov21 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ji, Philip Inyeob & In, Francis, 2010. "The impact of the global financial crisis on the cross-currency linkage of LIBOR-OIS spreads," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 575-589, December.
- José Francisco Bellod Redondo, 2010. "La Crisis Imposible: Tragedia En Tres Actos," Contribuciones a la Economía, Grupo Eumed.net (Universidad de Málaga), issue 2010-03, March.
- Anindya Banerjee & Victor Bystrov & Paul Mizen, .
"Interest rate Pass-Through in the Major European Economies - The Role of Expectations,"
10/03, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Anindya Banerjee & Victor Bystrov & Paul Mizen, 2010. "Interest rate pass-through in the major European economies - the role of expectations," Discussion Papers 10-07, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Orlowski, Lucjan T, 2008.
"Stages of the 2007/2008 Global Financial Crisis: Is There a Wandering Asset-Price Bubble?,"
12696, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Orlowski, Lucjan T., 2008. "Stages of the 2007/2008 Global Financial Crisis Is There a Wandering Asset-Price Bubble?," Economics Discussion Papers 2008-43, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- van Suntum, Ulrich, 2009. "Economic confidence, negative interest rates, and liquidity: Towards Keynesianism 2.0," CAWM Discussion Papers 24, Center of Applied Economic Research Münster (CAWM), University of Münster.
- Richard G. Anderson, 2009. "Resolving a banking crisis, the Nordic way," Economic Synopses, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Lucjan T. Orlowski, 2008. "Stages of the Ongoing Global Financial Crisis: Is There a Wandering Asset-Price Bubble?," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0372, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Giancarlo Bertocco, 2011. "Global Saving Glut and housing bubble: a critical analysis," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf1112, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- José Francisco Bellod Redondo, 2011. "Crisis y reforma de las cajas de ahorros en España," Contribuciones a la Economía, Grupo Eumed.net (Universidad de Málaga), issue 2011-05, May.
- Phillip Anthony O’Hara, 2011. "International Subprime Crisis and Recession: Emerging Macroprudential, Monetary, Fiscal and Global Governance," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 58(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Đorđe Đukić & Mališa Đukić, 2009. "The Global Financial Crisis and the Behaviour of Short-Term Interest Rates International and Serbian Aspects," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(4), pages 491-506, December.
- Massimo Guidolin & Francesca Rinaldi, 2009.
"A simple model of trading and pricing risky assets under ambiguity: any lessons for policy-makers?,"
2009-020, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Massimo Guidolin & Francesca Rinaldi, 2010. "A simple model of trading and pricing risky assets under ambiguity: any lessons for policy-makers?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(1-2), pages 105-135.
- Cukierman, Alex, 2011. "Reflections on the crisis and on its lessons for regulatory reform and for central bank policies," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 26-37, January.
- Ulrich van Suntum, . "Economic Confidence, Negative Interest Rates, and Liquidity: Towards Keynesianism 2.0," Working Papers 200108, Institute of Spatial and Housing Economics, Munster Universitary.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.