Revisions to user costs for the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis monetary services indices
AbstractThis analysis discusses recent changes to the user cost figures that are computed as part of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis monetary services indices (MSI). The authors first introduce an alternative splicing procedure, robust to differences in scale between series, for those price subindices which, individually, have a time span shorter than the overall MSI but are spliced to span the entire period. They then correct an error in the calculation of user costs for money market mutual funds that caused these funds' user costs to be based, for a considerable period of time, on the last-reported value for one input data series. Finally, the authors also restore the yield-curve adjustment for composite assets, which they removed from published data during 2004 as they explored the unusual behavior of the user cost data for small-denomination time deposits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its journal Review.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): Nov ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barnett, William A., 1980. "Economic monetary aggregates an application of index number and aggregation theory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 11-48, September.
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:1:y:1997:i:2:p:485-512 is not listed on IDEAS
- William Barnett, 2005.
- William Barnett, 2005. "Monetary Aggregation," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200510, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2005.
- Richard G. Anderson & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 1994. "A historical perspective on the Federal Reserve's monetary aggregates: definition, construction and targeting," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 1-31.
- Barnett, William & Offenbacher, Edward & Spindt, Paul, 1981. "New Concepts of Aggregated Money," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 497-505, May.
- Hill, R. & Fox, K., 1995.
"Splicing Index Numbers,"
95/38, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Barnett, William A. & Liu, Yi & Jensen, Mark, 1997. "Capm Risk Adjustment For Exact Aggregation Over Financial Assets," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(02), pages 485-512, June.
- William Barnett & Shu Wu, 2004.
"On user costs of risy monetary assets,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200404, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2004.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1995. "Axiomatic and Economic Approaches to Elementary Price Indexes," NBER Working Papers 5104, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, W E, 1974. "Intertemporal Consumer Theory and the Demand for Durables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(3), pages 497-516, May.
- Richard G. Anderson & Barry Jones & Travis Nesmith, 1996. "Monetary aggregation theory and statistical index numbers," Working Papers 1996-007, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Richard G. Anderson & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 1994. "A historical perspective on the Federal Reserve's monetary aggregates: definition, construction and targeting," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 1-31.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Uritskaya, Olga Y., 2007. "Detecting signatures of stochastic self-organization in US money and velocity measures," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 385(1), pages 281-291.
- William Barnett & Jia Liu & Ryan Mattson & Jeff van den Noort, 2012.
"The New CFS Divisia Monetary Aggregates: Design, Construction, and Data Sources,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
201208, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised May 2012.
- William Barnett & Jia Liu & Ryan Mattson & Jeff Noort, 2013. "The New CFS Divisia Monetary Aggregates: Design, Construction, and Data Sources," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 101-124, February.
- Barnett, William A. & Liu, Jia & Mattson, Ryan S. & van den Noort, Jeff, 2012. "The new CFS Divisia monetary aggregates: design, construction, and data sources," MPRA Paper 38905, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard G. Anderson & Barry Jones, 2011. "A comprehensive revision of the U.S. monetary services (divisia) indexes," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 325-360.
- Elger, Thomas & Jones, Barry E. & Nilsson, Birger, 2006. "Forecasting with Monetary Aggregates: Recent Evidence for the United States," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 58(5-6), pages 428-446.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.