Commodity prices and inflation
AbstractThis study examines the empirical relationship between changes in commodity prices and inflation by looking at the performance of non-oil commodity prices as stand-alone indicators of inflation and in conjunction with other leading indicators of inflation. The results indicate that the empirical link between commodity prices and inflation has changed dramatically over time. Commodity prices were relatively strong and statistically robust leading indicators of overall inflation during the 1970s and early 1980s, but they have been poor stand-alone indicators of inflation since the early 1980s. When considered in conjunction with other likely indicators of inflation, non-oil commodity prices have had a somewhat more statistically robust relationship with inflation in recent years, though the added information content in commodity prices regarding inflation is limited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco in its journal Economic Review.
Volume (Year): (1996)
Issue (Month): ()
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kugler, Peter, 1991. "Common trends, commodity prices and consumer prices," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 345-349, December.
- Frederick T. Furlong, 1989. "Commodity prices as a guide for monetary policy," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Win, pages 21-38.
- Robert H. DeFina, 1988. "Commodity prices: useful intermediate targets for monetary policy?," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue May, pages 3-12.
- Cody, Brian J & Mills, Leonard O, 1991. "The Role of Commodity Prices in Formulating Monetary Policy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 358-65, May.
- S. Brock Blomberg & Ethan S. Harris, 1995. "The commodity-consumer price connection: fact or fable?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 21-38.
- C. Alan Garner, 1995. "How useful are leading indicators of inflation?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II, pages 5-18.
- R. W. Hafer, 1983. "Monetary policy and the price rule: the newest odd couple," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Feb, pages 5-13.
- A.F.M. Kamrul Hassan & Ruhul A. Salim, 2011. "Is there any Link Between Commodity Price and Monetary Policy? Evidence from Australia," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 41(3), pages 205-216, December.
- A. Anzuini & M. J. Lombardi & P. Pagano, 2013.
"The Impact of Monetary Policy Shocks on Commodity Prices,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 9(3), pages 125-150, September.
- Alessio Anzuini & Marco J. Lombardi & Patrizio Pagano, 2012. "The impact of monetary policy shocks on commodity prices," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 851, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Anzuini, Alessio & Lombardi, Marco J. & Pagano, Patrizio, 2010. "The impact of monetary policy shocks on commodity prices," Working Paper Series 1232, European Central Bank.
- Ansgar Belke & Ingo G. Bordon & Torben W. Hendricks, 2009.
"Global Liquidity and Commodity Prices: A Cointegrated VAR Approach for OECD Countries,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
898, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ansgar Belke & Ingo Bordon & Torben Hendricks, 2010. "Global liquidity and commodity prices-a cointegrated VAR approach for OECD countries," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 227-242.
- Ansgar Belke & Ingo G. Bordon & Torben W. Hendricks, 2009. "Global Liquidity and Commodity Prices – A Cointegrated VAR Approach for OECD Countries," Ruhr Economic Papers 0102, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Mutascu, Mihai & Andries, Alin Marius, 2013. "Decomposing time-frequency relationship between producer price and consumer price indices in Romania through wavelet analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 151-159.
- Browne, Frank & Cronin, David, 2006. "Commodity Prices, Money and Inflation," Research Technical Papers 16/RT/06, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Ciner, Cetin, 2011. "Commodity prices and inflation: Testing in the frequency domain," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 229-237, September.
- Baki Demirel & Baris Alpaslan & Emre Guneser Bozdag, 2013. "Do Exchange Rates Affect Inflation? Evidence from Emerging Market Economies," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1318, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Barrera, Carlos, 2010. "¿Respuesta asimétrica de precios domésticos de combustibles ante choques en el WTI?," Working Papers 2010-016, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Al-Shawarby, Sherine & Selim, Hoda, 2012. "Are international food price spikes the source of Egypt's high inflation ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6177, The World Bank.
- Ansgar Belke & Ingo G. Bordon & Torben W. Hendricks, 2010.
"Monetary Policy, Global Liquidity and Commodity Price Dynamics,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0167, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Ansgar Belke & Ingo G. Bordon & Torben W. Hendricks, 2010. "Monetary Policy, Global Liquidity and Commodity Price Dynamics," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 971, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Acharya, Ram N. & Gentle, Paul F. & Mishra, Ashok K. & Paudel, Krishna P., 2008. "Examining The Crb Index As An Indicator For U.S. Inflation," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6760, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Robert Anderton & Alessandro Galesi & Marco Lombardi & Filippo di Mauro, .
"Key elements of global inflation,"
09/22, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Gianluigi Ferrucci & Rebeca Jiménez-Rodríguez & Luca Onorantea, 2012. "Food Price Pass-Through in the Euro Area: Non-Linearities and the Role of the Common Agricultural Policy," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 8(1), pages 179-218, March.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Jeon, Yongil, 2003. "Comparing forecasts of inflation using time distance," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 339-349.
- Ferrucci, Gianluigi & Jiménez-Rodríguez, Rebeca & Onorante, Luca, 2010. "Food price pass-through in the euro area The role of asymmetries and non-linearities," Working Paper Series 1168, European Central Bank.
- George, Edward I. & Sun, Dongchu & Ni, Shawn, 2008. "Bayesian stochastic search for VAR model restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 553-580, January.
- Browne, Frank & Cronin, David, 2007. "Commodity prices, money and inflation," Working Paper Series 0738, European Central Bank.
- Munir Jalil & Esteban Tamayo, 2011. "Pass-through of International Food Prices to Domestic Inflation During and After the Great Recession: Evidence from a Set of Latin American Economies," REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.