Leveraging remittances for development
AbstractMigrant remittances have become a major source of external development finance. They can play an effective role in reducing poverty. And they provide a convenient angle for approaching the complex migration agenda. ; Remittances are personal flows from migrants to their friends and families and should not be taxed or directed to specific development uses. Instead, the development community should make remittance services cheaper and more convenient and indirectly leverage these flows to improve financial access of migrants, their beneficiaries, and the financial intermediaries in the origin countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas in its journal Proceedings.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dilip Ratha & William Shaw, 2007. "South-South Migration and Remittances," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6733.
- Isabel Ortiz & Jingqing Chai & Matthew Cummins, 2011. "Identifying Fiscal Space:Options for Social and Economic Development for Children and Poor Households in 184 Countries," Working papers 1108, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Davies, Simon, 2007. "Remittances as insurance for idiosyncratic and covariate shocks in Malawi: The importance of distance and relationship," MPRA Paper 4463, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian EBEKE, 2010.
"Transferts des migrants, ouverture sur l'extérieur et dépenses publiques dans les pays en développement,"
- Christian Ebeke, 2011. "Transferts des migrants, ouverture sur l'extérieur et dépenses publiques dans les pays en développement," Working Papers halshs-00552983, HAL.
- Christian Ebeke, 2011.
"The power of Remittances on the Prevalence of Child Labor,"
- Ebeke, Christian Hubert, 2012. "The power of remittances on the international prevalence of child labor," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 452-462.
- Christian EBEKE, 2009. "The power of Remittances on the Prevalence of Child Labor," Working Papers 200924, CERDI.
- Oliver Bakewell, 2009. "Migration, Diasporas and Development: Some Critical Perspectives," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 229(6), pages 787-802, December.
- Kumar, Ronald R., 2011. "Role of Financial and Technology Inclusion, Remittances and Exports vis-à-vis growth: A study of Nepal," MPRA Paper 38850, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 May 2012.
- Franklin Allen and Giorgia Giovannetti, 2010.
"Fragile Countries And The 2008-2009 Crisis,"
RSCAS Working Papers
2010/13, European University Institute.
- Kumar, Ronald R., 2010. "Impact of trade openness, remittances, capital inflows & financial development on income in Vanuatu," MPRA Paper 33221, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hassan, Gazi & Shakur, Shamim & Bhuyan, Mohammed, 2012. "Nonlinear growth effect of remittances in recipient countries: an econometric analysis of remittances-growth nexus in Bangladesh," MPRA Paper 40086, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Krishnan Sharma, 2009. "The Impact of Remittances on Economic Insecurity," Working Papers 78, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Ratha, Dilip & Mohapatra, Sanket & Scheja, Elina, 2011. "Impact of migration on economic and social development : a review of evidence and emerging issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5558, The World Bank.
- Jayaraman, T. K. & Choong, Chee-Keong & Kumar, Ronald, 2011. "Role of Remittances in Economic Development: An Empirical Study of World’s Two Most Remittances Dependent Pacific Island Economies," MPRA Paper 33197, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kumar, Ronald/R, 2011. "Role of Trade, Aid, Remittances and Financial Development in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 38871, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sanket Mohapatra & Dilip Ratha, 2010.
"Forecasting migrant remittances during the global financial crisis,"
Transnational Press London, UK, vol. 7(2), pages 203-213, October.
- Mohapatra, Sanket & Ratha, Dilip, 2010. "Forecasting migrant remittances during the global financial crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5512, The World Bank.
- Ibrahim Sirkeci & Jeffrey H. Cohen & Dilip Ratha, 2012. "Migration and Remittances during the Global Financial Crisis and Beyond," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13092.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Klapper, Leora, 2012. "Measuring financial inclusion : the Global Findex Database," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6025, The World Bank.
- Raúl Hernández-Coss & Gillian Brown & Chitrawati Buchori & Isaku Endo & Emiko Todoroki & Tita Naovalitha & Wameek Noor & Cynthia Mar, 2008. "The Malaysia-Indonesia Remittance Corridor : Making Formal Transfers the Best Option for Women and Undocumented Migrants," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6515.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Delia Rodriguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.