Recovery from a financial crisis: the case of South Korea
AbstractAmong the countries that were impacted by the 1997 Asian crisis, South Korea (Korea hereafter) has demonstrated the fastest recovery by blocking its downward spiral. Jahyeong Koo and Sherry Kiser examine the recovery process of financial crises, particularly in Korea, in light of the weak-fundamentals and financial-panic views. Since neither of these views adequately explains Korea’s recovery, the authors look at other phenomena for an explanation. Alternative financial arrangements and labor market adjustments are specifically examined. The authors acknowledge that Korea’s recovery was only possible after it gained control of its exchange-rate crisis. Since the recovery process affirms neither the weak-fundamentals view nor the financial-panic view, Koo and Kiser conclude that containing the downward spiral was a combination of factors working together and that much of Korea’s recovery can be attributed to the creation of alternative funding sources and labor adjustments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas in its journal Economic and Financial Policy Review.
Volume (Year): (2001)
Issue (Month): Q IV ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takatoshi Ito, 1999.
"Capital Flows in Asia,"
NBER Working Papers
7134, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Takatoshi Ito, 1999. "Capital Flows in Asia," Discussion Paper Series, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University a371, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jong-Wha Lee, 1999. "Credit Allocation and Financial Crisis in Korea," IMF Working Papers 99/20, International Monetary Fund.
- Yunhee Kim & Jeong-Dong Lee & Almas Heshmati, 2009.
"Analysis of Pay Inequality and its Impacts on Growth and Performance in the Korean Manufacturing Industry,"
TEMEP Discussion Papers
200902, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Jan 2009.
- Kim, Yunhee & Lee, Jeong-Dong & Heshmati, Almas, 2008. "Analysis of Pay Inequality and its Impacts on Growth and Performance in the Korean Manufacturing Industry," IZA Discussion Papers 3774, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Oh, Inha & Heshmati, Almas & Baek, Chulwoo & Lee, Jeong-Dong, 2006.
"Comparative Analysis of Firm Dynamics by Size: Korean Manufacturing,"
Ratio Working Papers, The Ratio Institute
94, The Ratio Institute.
- Inha Oh & Almas Heshmati & Chulwoo Baek & Jeong-Dong Lee, 2009. "Comparative Analysis Of Plant Dynamics By Size: Korean Manufacturing," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 512-538.
- Yongil Jeon & Stephen M. Miller & Paul A. Natke, 2003.
"Do Foreign Bank Operations Provide a Stabilizing Influence in Korea?,"
Working papers, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics
2004-21, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Jeon, Yongil & Miller, Stephen M. & Natke, Paul A., 2006. "Do foreign bank operations provide a stabilizing influence in Korea?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 82-109, February.
- Keisuke Otsu, 2008. "A Neoclassical Analysis of The Korean Crisis," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(2), pages 449-471, April.
- Zhang, Zhiwei & Zhang, Wenlang, 2011. "The road to recovery: Fiscal stimulus, financial sector rehabilitation, and potential risks ahead," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 311-321, August.
- Arturo Antón Sarabia, 2007. "The Financial Accelerator from a Business Cycle Accounting Perspective," Working Papers 2007-06, Banco de México.
- Inha Oh & Jeong-Dong Lee & Almas Heshmati & Gyoung-Gyu Choi, 2009. "Evaluation of credit guarantee policy using propensity score matching," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 33(3), pages 335-351, October.
- Felipe LarraÃn & Se Kyu Choi-Ha, 2003. "Recesiones, Apertura y RÃ©gimen Cambiario," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de EconomÃa, Instituto de EconomÃa. Pontificia Universidad CatÃ³lica de Chile., Instituto de EconomÃa. Pontificia Universidad CatÃ³lica de Chile., vol. 40(121), pages 668-678.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Delia Rodriguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.